Re: [MakerBot] ABP and warping

Message has been deleted

Z LeHericy

Nov 18, 2010, 9:35:22 PM11/18/10
to makerbot
I've been having the same problem on EVERY print I try to do on the
ABP... its really frustrating, since I'd love to have the multi-print
capability... It seems like the one that Makerbot videotaped overnight
works better than any other ABP in existance... since I can hardly get
one print to even stick to the belt!

With a more rigid, and sticky belt, maybe it'd work, but still, quite
frustrating...

-Z

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 6:25 PM, coasterman-1674 <coast...@live.com> wrote:
> I searched and found a couple of threads similar to this, but I know
> how much people don't like bumping, so I guess I need to post a new
> one.
>
> I have an ABP and I really wish I had my money back. Anything that I
> print on it warps like crazy. A simple 20mmbox warps up as if it were
> an 80mmbox. While prining, it bobs back and forth. The belt stays
> stuck to it, and bobs up and down with it.
>
> Here's a pic: http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac59/coasterman1/3D%20Printer/2010-11-1821-22-30904.jpg
>
> --

-Zeno LeHericy

//((=:Z:=))\\
INVENTIONS
Technologies
zinventions.com

Message has been deleted

Ross Mosshart

Nov 18, 2010, 9:54:03 PM11/18/10
to make...@googlegroups.com

I know this may have been said in your other thread, but have you tried printing with PLA on it? Contrary to popular belief, PLA is not impossible to get decent prints with right off the bat, all I did was change the temperature in my start.txt to 185C and it handles the same way ABS does for the most part, didnt even make any changes to my skienforge profile. A hybrid extruder is a must, but the problem you may run into is that it sticks TOO well then!

Ross Mosshart

Nov 18, 2010, 9:59:50 PM11/18/10
to make...@googlegroups.com

Oh! Are you refering to the .5mm Kapton like what is used with Chooch's Pfierce Robotic Build Platform? I do not have the part number right off hand, but I believe that McMaster-Carr is where they purchased it.

On Nov 18, 2010 8:54 PM, "Ross Mosshart" <ross.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

I know this may have been said in your other thread, but have you tried printing with PLA on it? Contrary to popular belief, PLA is not impossible to get decent prints with right off the bat, all I did was change the temperature in my start.txt to 185C and it handles the same way ABS does for the most part, didnt even make any changes to my skienforge profile. A hybrid extruder is a must, but the problem you may run into is that it sticks TOO well then!

> > On Nov 18, 2010 8:26 PM, "coasterman-1674" <coast...@live.com> wrote: > > I searched and foun...

Luis E. Rodriguez

Nov 18, 2010, 10:01:11 PM11/18/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
I've had the same experience, I'm going to experiment with a thick
kapton that I've read people have tried. I've switched back to the
HBP. What was the prototype belt material? Does this mean my
Thingomatic will suffer the same fate? :(

Luis E. Rodriguez
Creative Services Coordinator

Kauffman Foundation
4801 Rockhill Road
Kansas City MO 64110-2046

816-932-1254
816-751-6873 Fax

*sent from iPhone 4

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

James McCracken

Nov 19, 2010, 7:50:07 AM11/19/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
It sounds like the ABP really needs a belt clamp that can be engaged
and disengaged while printing. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be a
printable design as it'd be on the hot side of things. And of course
you'd be sacrificing some amount of build space. Only positive is if
it had an appropriately sharp inner forward leading edge, you'd only
have to raise and lower it a mm or two, and have the prints detach as
the conveyer moves under it...

I'm imagining a lever bar similar to what's used in ZIF sockets and a
servo to operate it. Again, too bad some large portion isn't
printable...