X-End Idler Kit - Replicator 1, 2 and 2X

AL M

Apr 16, 2014, 1:41:47 AM4/16/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

  I has been brought to my attention that the X-End ALU Idler kit will fit many more 3D printers than just the 2X.
In finding that out I feel its only fair to other Bot owners that I start a new post I hope that is ok.

 I was informed the Idler kit will fit  Replicator 1, 2 and 2X and many clones. Stock X-End and also Carl's ALU X-End
Also I would like to thank everyone for the feed back i received and if anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer.
If anyone has any  comments good or bad after receiving and installing the Idler kit I am all ears .

If there are any other gears or Idler pulleys you would like to see me stock I will try my best to do so.
I said in the past I would keep everyone posted so at this point there have been 74 kits sold and that will help me to purchase
 the next parts order.

           Thank You , Al Maddas                                                                              http://www.almgear.com/

Scott D

Apr 27, 2014, 8:14:55 AM4/27/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Great upgrade, works good and is easy to install.
Thanks

AL M

Jun 18, 2014, 6:58:24 PM6/18/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael ,

     Thank you and all who ordered the Idler.
I finally have a good number in stock again for both the Alu and stock Xend

Again Thank You , Al

Stan Velijev

Jun 18, 2014, 7:14:37 PM6/18/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Can I ask what the difference is between the stock Rep2 idler and the one for Carl's X-ends?
I'm on the fence if I want to replace my x-ends, but I do want a new idler pulley.
Wondering if either one is cross-compatible, or if I should just make up my mind about Carl's x-ends before buying.

AL M

Jun 18, 2014, 7:41:55 PM6/18/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stan ,

 The only difference is the shaft length and if it wasn't such a pain to cut and was a little cheaper to buy I would include both.
Carls Alu X - Ends  are Far better than stock there is just is no comparison.
Also I will add the extra shaft to my site now that i have some extra cut for both setups.
Sad part is I will have to charge $1.00 for the extra shaft but shipping will stay the same.

  Thank You , Al

Stan Velijev

Jun 18, 2014, 7:59:53 PM6/18/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
One dollar is a lot better than 18. I'll grab it with the extra shaft when I see it up on the site, thanks.

AL M

Jun 18, 2014, 8:08:19 PM6/18/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
It should be there now.Thanks Stan

      Al

mikehddd

Jun 18, 2014, 9:34:18 PM6/18/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi Al,
I just received your part and it looks great which is for the stock Rep2 X ends. After placing that order though I decided to upgrade the to Carl's X ends and have ordered a set of those. I was going to wait until they arrive and install the whole lot together. When you say the shaft length is different in the kit for Carl's ends is this something I can modify myself or am I better ordering the shaft from you to suit. My fault for ordering the X ends after I ordered your kit.....

Mike.

Scott

Jun 19, 2014, 12:29:24 AM6/19/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Mike,
      If you ordered the regular X end idler, them it would be better to order the x-end shaft for carls x-ends. After all the shaft is only $1. I believe the Carl x-end shaft is longer so this is something you can't really do your self.

Direct link to the shaft for carls Alu x-ends

mikehddd

Jun 19, 2014, 1:09:56 AM6/19/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Scott, I am in Australia so it will take a while to get here thats all. I believe Carls X ends are a few weeks off shipping anyway. I should have thought about it a bit more as I ordered the Idler and then a couple of days later I decided to go with Carl's parts.

Scott, I see you have installed the Idler and the X ends, have you noticed a difference in the print quality. The main reason I am getting these parts is my gantry has a bit of flex in it which should be solved by this upgrade. I print a lot of parts that need to fit together so any improvement in the print quality is worth it for me.

Mike

Scott

Jun 19, 2014, 4:14:15 AM6/19/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Typically  I think it should prevent a lot of the flex you talk about. I did mine because I added a HBP to my R2 and know that the heat affects the plastic parts like the x-ends and arms. So I also did bottleworks aluminum arms.

Another thing you want to check that could affect parts not fitting correctly is that your not over extruding by running the 20x10 calibration cube with 100% infill. Also back lash can affect parts not fitting correctly.
You can look at this thingiverse and follow the instructions to determine if you have a back lash problem that need adjusted or not.

AL M

Jun 19, 2014, 9:06:09 AM6/19/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike ,
 Your order will be shipped today .Also Thank You Scott for helping Mike out .

    Al

Ryan Carlyle

Jun 19, 2014, 10:59:29 AM6/19/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Mike, the biggest things I noticed was a significant reduction in backlash. Carl's belt clamps work better than MBI's belt clips.

The added rigidity is also nice -- may reduce ringing a bit.

AL M

Jun 21, 2014, 8:07:43 PM6/21/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi ,

 I received an email asking about the 2 washers included in the Idler kit.
Are they actuality needed ?

 The answer is No but the reason i did include them was if the idler was to track to either side it would keep the idler from binding
or scratching the anodized coating on the Alu X-end .

   Again Thank You all , Al          http://www.almgear.com/

AL M

Aug 6, 2014, 7:24:20 PM8/6/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi All ,

    I now have 51 idler kits left. When thees are all sold I dont think I will able to make anymore.
To make another round of idlers require i buy 200 gears, 400 bearings ,shaft stock and washers
along with health issues i am having .I think its time to take a break.I will keep a few just in the case of
a defective idler and so far i am happy that there has only been one out of 573 i have sold.
Hopefully most everyone with a plastic idler has already replaced it with the Alu idler with bearings and if not please get one ordered.

Thank You , Al

Mark

Aug 7, 2014, 10:59:26 AM8/7/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Al,

Sorry to hear about the health issues! I hope all turns out OK. Oh, & I jumped on one of your idlers plus the other shaft.

Feel better!

Mark

AL M

Aug 7, 2014, 3:27:10 PM8/7/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mark ,
  It will be shipped first thing in the AM.

Divine Shadow

Aug 8, 2014, 10:59:53 AM8/8/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Ordered, Hope I got in in time,  Thanks for sorting this.

AL M

Aug 8, 2014, 1:09:04 PM8/8/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi Divine,