Olive oil lube between each build?

Brian Esquivel

Aug 8, 2014, 1:33:10 PM8/8/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
I've noticed that after 3 hours of print time I start to get chattery prints as filament stops feeding as well.

If I grease the filament with olive oil before loading it seems to fix the problem.

Would it be overkill to grease every hour?

Perhaps there is carbonized build up in my print head? It doesn't look like it.

Thanks

delsydsoftware

Aug 8, 2014, 2:27:12 PM8/8/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
I know that others have suggested using a drop of canola oil to lube up the filament, and that seems to work well for them. I would NOT recommend olive oil, because it has a very low smoke point---see the chart on this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point

So, depending on the type of olive oil you're using, you make actually be making the situation worse.