Replicator 1... and 2? Glass Group Buy... Again?

Adan Akerman

Dec 6, 2012, 3:02:13 PM12/6/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

A decent number of folks followed up to see if I had any more glass left over after our group buy. At first I did... but then, after a while, I didn't. I'm delighted to have been cleared out!

But I feel bad that there are still people who wish to try it out. So I'm floating a test balloon: if I were to do another group buy of 3.3mm borosilicate glass plates, who would be interested in participating and how many plates would you like? And.... would you like a plate sized for the Replicator 1 or 2?

I'm assuming, for the Replicator 1 size, we'll be able to hold to the same pricing ($25 for first sheet, $7 per additional, domestic US; additional to ship overseas per USPS rates). The Replicator 2 may be a tad more expensive, as it's a tad larger. If there's any amount of interest in it I'll be happy to get that quoted.

Who has a good measurement of the Rep2 build platform length x width?

I've managed to work out a few of the kinks/bugs/inefficiencies here and it would be easier this time around. Hopefully easier than for someone else to start from scratch.

Whatcha think? Wanna print on glass?

Adan

Chris Pittman

Dec 6, 2012, 3:05:34 PM12/6/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested in 2 plates for the Replicator 2 - let me know if it happens.

Thanks!

Avandss

Dec 6, 2012, 3:30:26 PM12/6/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
You can also put me down for 1 plate for the rep 2

thank you Aden for spearheading this project!

Adan Akerman

Dec 6, 2012, 3:31:55 PM12/6/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hey, you're welcome. I've really enjoyed printing on glass so far.

Okay, so far we're an all-Rep2 crowd on this one!

Lost Soul

Dec 6, 2012, 3:39:12 PM12/6/12
to make...@googlegroups.com

I'd be interested in 1 piece for each. (If it's a lot easier for just 1 machine, it would be the 2)

Thanks!

Adan Akerman

Dec 6, 2012, 3:56:46 PM12/6/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Ah - mixed... that's a case I didn't consider when making my "pricing structure" (much too glamorous a term...). Based on this initial response I'm assuming I'll be doing both types, so let's assume it's no problem.

How about: if pricing for Rep1 only is [first piece & shipping] + [additional pieces each] = X + Y*n = $25 + $7*n,

-and-

pricing for Rep 2 only is [first piece & shipping] + [additional pieces each] = A + B*m, where A and B are TBD,

then pricing for a mix probably needs to be A + B*m + Y*n.

In the example you give, one of each, that would mean m=0 and n=1, so the total would be $A + $7.

Does that seem fair? Is there any way I could have made such a simple thing any more complicated?? Simplicity != my strong suit.

Sorry :-)

Adan

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Lost Soul <d.dec...@gaiawares.com> wrote:

I'd be interested in 1 piece for each. (If it's a lot easier for just 1 machine, it would be the 2)

Thanks!

Infinityplusplus

Dec 6, 2012, 4:49:08 PM12/6/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I would buy two for the Rep2.

Adan Akerman

Dec 6, 2012, 4:55:11 PM12/6/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I'm gonna say we're clear of the minimum and the Rep2 order is a go. I'll seek quoting on it now.

No. Wait: someone tell me how big your Rep2 build platform is! The MBI product description claims 285 x 153mm. Does that seem right?

Any Replicator 1 interest?

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Infinityplusplus <halb...@gmail.com> wrote:
I would buy two for the Rep2.

Avandss

Dec 6, 2012, 5:12:21 PM12/6/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
we should contact makerbot for more detailed info for the size and thickness (rep2)

Dan Newman

Dec 6, 2012, 5:12:18 PM12/6/12
to make...@googlegroups.com

On 6 Dec 2012 , at 12:02 PM, Adan Akerman wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> A decent number of folks followed up to see if I had any more glass left
> over after our group buy. At first I did... but then, after a while, I
> didn't. I'm delighted to have been cleared out!
>
> But I feel bad that there are still people who wish to try it out. So I'm
> floating a test balloon: if I were to do another group buy of 3.3mm
> borosilicate glass plates, who would be interested in participating and how
> many plates would you like? And.... would you like a plate sized for the
> Replicator 1 or 2?
>
> I'm assuming, for the Replicator 1 size, we'll be able to hold to the same
> pricing ($25 for first sheet, $7 per additional, domestic US; additional to
> ship overseas per USPS rates). The Replicator 2 may be a tad more
> expensive, as it's a tad larger. If there's any amount of interest in it
> I'll be happy to get that quoted.
>
> Who has a good measurement of the Rep2 build platform length x width?

It's not quite a rectangle: it's a rectangle with a cutout on each of the
long edges. It's there for the "locking" tabs.

Dan

Dan Newman

Dec 6, 2012, 5:14:44 PM12/6/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
When I get a chance -- perhaps not until late this evening -- I'll measure the
Rep2 plate for you.

Dan

Adan Akerman

Dec 6, 2012, 6:00:58 PM12/6/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
No giant rush, but that would be great. Thanks Dan!

The cutouts will likely make this a significantly more expensive part. Do you think they're necessary, or can this glass just rest atop the acrylic? Do the locking clips protrude above the acrylic?

Ian Lougheed

Dec 6, 2012, 6:26:28 PM12/6/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
It could sit on top of the acrylic, and we could hold it on with our favourite adhesion method.

The clips protrude 2-3mm above the acrylic, but they're quite small.

I'm interested in 1 or 2 of these for my Replicator 2.

Dan Newman

Dec 6, 2012, 7:08:32 PM12/6/12
to make...@googlegroups.com

On 6 Dec 2012 , at 3:00 PM, Adan Akerman wrote:

> No giant rush, but that would be great. Thanks Dan!
>
> The cutouts will likely make this a significantly more expensive part. Do
> you think they're necessary, or can this glass just rest atop the acrylic?
> Do the locking clips protrude above the acrylic?

Well that's no fun. (The piece of glass a buddy with a wet grinder is
cutting for me is 5/16" thick and with tabs.)

If it's put atop the acrylic then it needs to be narrower then what
I show below and it could be taped down. Dimensions would the be as
per the MBI build volume spec: 284 x 155 mm. You can actually go a
bit deeper: 284 x 160 -- that allows for 2.5 mm eaten by each clip
as well as the 5.0 mm cutout for the clips on one edge. Actually,
the clips seem to need only 2 mm, but some slop might be nice in
case there's cutting errors. The clips need to be snug or the
large acrylic plate can slide a little.

If it is not narrower, then it a glass plate on top of the acrylic will
rock on top of the clips. Either that or spread them open.

Dan

Here's an OpenSCAD file for the existing Replicator 2 acrylic build plate.

/*
First, likely owing to machining errors, the two cutouts on my Rep 2 build
plate are shifted to one end by 1/32 of an inch. That is, they are both
equally off center by one thirty-second.

The rough dimensions are

thickness: 9 mm
length: 284 mm
width: 170 mm

Along one long edge, centered, there is a 5mm deep, 30 mm wide cut into the
plate. (Actual measured width was 29.6 mm.)

Along the opposite long edge, centered, there is a 2 x 60 mm wide tab
protruding out. (Actual measured width was 59.9 mm.)

The four primary corners appear to be radiused by 2 mm.

*/

t = 9;
l = 284;
w = 170;

cut_w = 30;
cut_d = 5;

tab_w = 60;
tab_d = 2;

r = 2;

difference() {
union() {
translate([0, 0, -t/2]) linear_extrude(height=t) hull() {
translate([-(l/2) + r, -(w/2) + r, 0]) circle(r=r);
translate([+(l/2) - r, -(w/2) + r, 0]) circle(r=r);
translate([-(l/2) + r, +(w/2) - r, 0]) circle(r=r);
translate([+(l/2) - r, +(w/2) - r, 0]) circle(r=r);
}
translate([0, (w + tab_d - 0.05) / 2, 0]) cube([tab_w, tab_d, t], center=true);
}
translate([0, -(w - cut_d) / 2, 0]) cube([cut_w, cut_d, t], center=true);
}

geezer

Dec 6, 2012, 9:28:34 PM12/6/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I want to sign up for two plates for the Rep 1.
Thanks very much for organizing this.

Adam Nerva

Dec 6, 2012, 9:47:44 PM12/6/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You don't need the tabs at all for the rep2.

My glass is in US dimensions:

Thickness: 3/8th inch
Lenth: 11 1/4 inch
Width: 6 1/2 inch
Flat-polished edge

It fits perfectly. Picture attached.

-Adam
custom-glass-plate.jpg

Eighty

Dec 6, 2012, 10:15:14 PM12/6/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'll take two plates for a Rep2, provided it can replace the acrylic. My acrylic is a little bowed, so I'd rather take it off entirely, not add over the top.

Fastrack

Dec 6, 2012, 11:02:00 PM12/6/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Sign me up for 4 pieces for the Rep1. Located in Canada

Ben
Fastrack on Thingiverse

Lincoln K

Dec 6, 2012, 11:12:17 PM12/6/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'd like two plates for the Rep 1.

Thanks!

Tyler Pope

Dec 6, 2012, 11:54:31 PM12/6/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'll take 2 plates for my Rep1.

Hammerhead

Dec 6, 2012, 11:56:00 PM12/6/12
to make...@googlegroups.com

Just a word of advice for those of you looking for only one plate.  Do yourself a favor and get at least two.  There's no substitute for being able to pull one plate out and have the second prepped and immediately ready to go.  In fact I'd suggest you get at least three in case one breaks.  Not that I'm looking to make Adan work any harder than he has alraedy, but it really just does make life so much easier.

Adan Akerman

Dec 7, 2012, 12:23:11 AM12/7/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
:-)

Yeah, I was a little bummed when the last extra piece was spoken for. Down to two for my use now. Way better than one... But still.

Avandss

Dec 7, 2012, 12:24:50 AM12/7/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Sold... Put me down for 3 instead of 1

Thanks.

rjschave

Dec 7, 2012, 2:02:48 AM12/7/12
to make...@googlegroups.com

Please put me down for 4, instead of 1, for the replicator 1.

Thanks.

Adan Akerman

Dec 7, 2012, 9:06:19 AM12/7/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good!

I'm going to be out of the loop for much of today, apologies in advance.

DavidM

Dec 7, 2012, 9:36:07 AM12/7/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
oh I am so interested! 2 plates for a Rep1 please!

Thanks Adan!

PropellerScience

Dec 7, 2012, 9:46:48 AM12/7/12
to MakerBot Operators
Does anybody know off-hand if you can put a Rep2 plate on a Rep1
platform?

Eighty

Dec 7, 2012, 10:13:49 AM12/7/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I'll bump my order from 2 to 3 plates for a Rep2.

Robert Edwards

Dec 7, 2012, 6:06:44 PM12/7/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
1 Glass plate for Replicator 2 please!

Hammerhead

Dec 7, 2012, 6:19:58 PM12/7/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Adan, I might need to jump in for another set of four.  See my other post regarding glass shearing.  I'll circle around soon...

Adan Akerman

Dec 7, 2012, 6:26:35 PM12/7/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hammerhead,

No rush: let's let this thing sit out the weekend, hopefully get a good answer on the best option for the Rep2, etc. I won't request new quotes from my glass people until Monday at the soonest, so we've got time.

Circle when ready!

Roger that, Robert Edwards. :-)

Adan

Infinityplusplus

Dec 7, 2012, 7:41:40 PM12/7/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I would say I like the full thickness plate like Adams here as the way I would like to see the REP 2 plates. Just my 2 cents and I am still willing to entertain other options but I like this one the best so far. I think it would simplify everything also instead of dealing with both the glass and acrylic we could just use the glass by itself.

bigjosh

Dec 7, 2012, 11:57:28 PM12/7/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
3 for REP 1 please.

Thanks!

-josh

Ian Lougheed

Dec 8, 2012, 12:01:26 AM12/8/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to chime in and suggest full thickness would be better. You don't need tabs everywhere but it would be good to have the rear one to center the plate. Even that is not necessary.

I'd definitely take 2 for my Replicator 2 if they're full thickness.

Ian

Sean J

Dec 8, 2012, 4:49:51 PM12/8/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested in 2-3 glass plates for Rep 2 (depending on where the price lands).

I would prefer the full thickness version if possible.

Ryan Gerrish

Dec 8, 2012, 5:09:39 PM12/8/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'd be in for (2) Replicator 2 plates, assuming not too expensive. Stock thickness. :)

randyzimmer

Dec 8, 2012, 5:55:51 PM12/8/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
If you can do custom sizes too let me know if you can get 3 at 15"X15" and an idea of the cost to Buffalo, NY

Eric

Dec 8, 2012, 10:28:02 PM12/8/12
to make...@googlegroups.com

I would be in for 2 plates - Rep 2 - Shipping into Canada

Thanks for doing this!

David Brelsford

Dec 9, 2012, 10:39:23 AM12/9/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
id be interested in 2 plates for the Rep 1.

dave
baltimore md

Adan Akerman

Dec 9, 2012, 1:07:18 PM12/9/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Dave and everyone else! This is sounding good.

The overwhelming vote sounds like a full-thickness 1:1 replacement for the Rep2, without notches or tabs... and possibly not even boro, since it's not to be heated. Any counter arguments on that?

James Harbal

Dec 9, 2012, 2:36:58 PM12/9/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Count me in for 2 plates for the Rep2

Eighty

Dec 9, 2012, 4:43:02 PM12/9/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
For the Rep2 plates, would you mind pricing both options, to see how much more it is? In a perfect world, it would have the notches, so I don't accidentally mislocate it laterally. But a few marks on the sides for alignment would also do the trick. As far as borosilicate, I don't see the need.
Thanks for looking into this! I think it would do wonders.

Mark

Dec 9, 2012, 5:00:39 PM12/9/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good.   I'm still in for two.

Mark
Chief Technical Wizard
Integrated Control Corp.

Adan Akerman

Dec 9, 2012, 5:03:31 PM12/9/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Sure, I can see how those prices compare. I'll be interested in the answer.

Randy, I don't think I answered your question above... I'll see if it works to add in those other sized pieces. I've got another request for a different whacky size too (in my notes, currently elsewhere). Would you be wanting 3.3mm borosilicate glass for that? Shipping will be trickier, as it won't fit in one of the flat rate boxes, but we can see what the other options look like. It shouldn't be too terrible.

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Eighty <adun...@gmail.com> wrote:
For the Rep2 plates, would you mind pricing both options, to see how much more it is?  In a perfect world, it would have the notches, so I don't accidentally mislocate it laterally.  But a few marks on the sides for alignment would also do the trick.  As far as borosilicate, I don't see the need.
Thanks for looking into this!  I think it would do wonders.

Adan Akerman

Dec 9, 2012, 8:10:49 PM12/9/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
[duplicate of separate thread; more appropriate here]

Thanks for the reply, Chris [copied below]. That's very helpful.

OK, folks who've expressed interest in a Rep2 build plate: There are a lot of you, and that's great! BUT: Based on Chris' note, it sounds like a losing proposition for this to be done as a group buy. If you can carry your acrylic build plate into a glass shop and walk out with a near-copy in glass for $15 (and probably multiples for less per-part), I'm pretty sure it's gonna be way cheaper than if I get someone to cut them and then have to charge you shipping and the various other nickels/dimes.

What do you think? Should we go ahead and have me do it anyway? Is there value in the added toughness of the boro glass, as well as its 8mm thickness availability? Or should this be a chance to support your local brick 'n' mortar glass folks?

Adan

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 7:53 PM, Chris Milnes <chr...@true9.com> wrote:
Dimensions on my plate are nearly identical to the acrylic plate. I simply handed the acrylic one to the glass cutter and he traced the dimensions. The height of my glass plate is a touch taller than the acrylic (glass makers stock comes in 1/4" 3/8" etc - not metric) but not a big prob as I don't use the acrylic one any longer and I am calibrated to the glass plate full-time. I put blue tape on one side and left other side glass. Yes, I added tick marks with a sharpie to keep it centered when installing. Was $15 locally.
Only issue I didn't consider is that it is a bunch heavier than the acrylic one and thought that maybe over time the support structure (since it wasn't engineered for the heavier glass plate) might sag. The leveling screws will fix that - just a thought.
Best, Chris

Sean J

Dec 9, 2012, 9:41:36 PM12/9/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update Adan. I think I'll check my local glass shop for pricing. I'm withdrawing my "order".

boardworks

Dec 9, 2012, 9:46:46 PM12/9/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I don't have access/time to connect with a local glass shop, so I'd be happy to pay a premium (LOL) to add my 2 ea. for standard Replicator 2 to your order :)

Mark Cohen

Dec 9, 2012, 10:00:27 PM12/9/12
to make...@googlegroups.com

Since so many people want this and you have  proven it works, why don't you open a support ticket and let them know about it. Maybe you will find they don't know about this and would be willing to make these things and sell them with their machines or perhaps they are following these posts and are already in the process of doing it since they have a bunch of warped boards anyway.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/makerbot/-/_Q4JMm3sHooJ.

Mark Salerno

Dec 10, 2012, 7:01:43 AM12/10/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Adan

I would like the harder exact size make plate too.   Keep my order for two rep 2 make plates.

Mark

On Dec 9, 2012, at 7:10 PM, Adan Akerman <ad...@akerworks.com> wrote:

[...]

Conrad Link

Dec 10, 2012, 8:44:12 AM12/10/12
to make...@googlegroups.com

Put me in for 4 rep1 plates. Is it possible to get these in a slightly larger size (e.g. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:26348 )?

-Conrad

Adan Akerman

Dec 10, 2012, 8:50:20 AM12/10/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy to ask. That's 6" x 12.5" = 152 x 318mm? 3.3mm boro?

Fastrack

Dec 10, 2012, 9:09:55 AM12/10/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking that myself, but I have a dual replicator, so I'm not sure a larger surface would be much help to me.  Even though I only use 1 side as I could never get the 2nd nozzle from dragging in the previously printed object.

Ben

Adan Akerman

Dec 10, 2012, 9:44:37 AM12/10/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Okay, so.... sounds like there's value, at least to some, in getting a Rep2 plate in the mail. It also sounds like there are people out there who need oddball sizes.

I'll do some RFQing today and see what I can learn (awaiting a return call to my voicemail). Here's what I'm asking about:

Rep1, normal: boro, 3.3 x 230 x 150mm

Rep1, x-pando: boro, 3.3 x 318 x 152mm

Rep2, simple, regular soda-lime glass  9.5 x 285 x 165mm

Rep2, simple, boro 9.0 x 285 x 168mm

Rep2, notchy  boro 9.0 x 285 x 170mm, with cutz

OtherSize1: boro, 3.3 x 317.5 x 42.2mm (12.5" x 1.67")

OtherSize2: boro, 3.3 x 381 x 381mm (15" x 15")

OtherSize3: boro, 3.3 x 203 x 203mm (8" x 8")

Soooooo.... have I missed anything??  :-)

Adan

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/makerbot/-/BoDurDSPdQ8J.

Conrad Link

Dec 10, 2012, 11:00:41 PM12/10/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Are you sure your nozzles are the same height? I assume you've seen this:

http://www.makerbot.com/support/replicator/troubleshooting/nozzle-shim/

My right nozzle was slightly lower and I had to shim w/ ~4-6 layers of
kapton tape.

-Conrad

Infinityplusplus

Dec 11, 2012, 11:42:24 AM12/11/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I am also still interested in 2 Rep2 plates, Thanks for working on this!

Adan Akerman

Dec 11, 2012, 12:11:29 PM12/11/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hey, you're welcome. Hopefully I'll make some progress today. I played some phone tag yesterday, yay!

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/makerbot/-/cxSqrJKvRW8J.

Alex

Dec 11, 2012, 12:28:25 PM12/11/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Opps.. Just realize Othersize1 should be:  12.5" x 16.5"

Not: 12.5" x 1.67"  sorry for my typo.

Adan Akerman

Dec 11, 2012, 12:29:54 PM12/11/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I wondered about that! Thanks for catching it.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/makerbot/-/cGIXZTNnfN0J.

BTHOON

Dec 11, 2012, 6:30:23 PM12/11/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'd like a Rep 1 plate. Sign me up!
thanks!

Adan Akerman

Dec 11, 2012, 8:05:17 PM12/11/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
You got it!

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 6:30 PM, BTHOON <amo...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd like a Rep 1 plate.  Sign me up!
thanks!

Avandss

Dec 11, 2012, 8:36:08 PM12/11/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
im still in for 2.... just confirming my order hehe  :)

Mark Salerno

Dec 11, 2012, 10:47:11 PM12/11/12
to make...@googlegroups.com, make...@googlegroups.com
Adan

Let me know if you want payment in advance.
Mark

On Dec 10, 2012, at 7:01 AM, Mark Salerno <ma...@goicc.com> wrote:

[...]

Adan Akerman

Dec 11, 2012, 11:01:42 PM12/11/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hey all, thanks for your patience with me... this slightly more complex order has coincided with a slightly more complex week for me, but hopefully I'll have a quote back tomorrow and we can proceed.

No need to pay yet. Last time I asked people to Paypal me after I place the order and everyone was super-prompt. I see no reason to do otherwise this time.

Okeydoke! I do want to hurry, though: printing on glass is the bee's knees and I feel guilty depriving y'all :-)

randyzimmer

Dec 11, 2012, 11:22:31 PM12/11/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
"Randy, I don't think I answered your question above... I'll see if it works to add in those other sized pieces. I've got another request for a different whacky size too (in my notes, currently elsewhere). Would you be wanting 3.3mm borosilicate glass for that? Shipping will be trickier, as it won't fit in one of the flat rate boxes, but we can see what the other options look like. It shouldn't be too terrible."

Thanks, thin is good. Let me know if its possible (15x15). Thanks. rz

lovmac

Dec 12, 2012, 2:48:49 AM12/12/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I am interested in 2 rep2 plates as well, thanks for driving!

David

Dec 12, 2012, 8:58:25 AM12/12/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to get 2 for the Replicator 1.

Thanks

Peter McDade

Dec 12, 2012, 10:22:12 AM12/12/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to order 4 plates for my rep 2... Are these going to have the notches or not? I am quite interested if they will... These acrylic plates have all been warped for me and support isn't helpful

Peter McDade

Dec 12, 2012, 10:22:14 AM12/12/12
to make...@googlegroups.com

Adan Akerman

Dec 12, 2012, 10:33:08 AM12/12/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
David and lovmac, I've got you two in the count now.

Peter, I've asked for quotes with and without the notches. Based on others' reports, I'm biased toward doing it without: I'm pretty sure the pricing is going to be dramatically more since they have to use a completely different manufacturing process. But we'll see.

Just to be clear... are they notches, or is there one notch and one tab? Dan's SCAD model (and description) showed a cut-in notch on one side and a protruding tab, wider, on the other.

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Peter McDade <rock...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd love to order 4 plates for my rep 2...  Are these going to have the notches or not?  I am quite interested if they will...  These acrylic plates have all been warped for me and support isn't helpful

Fastrack

Dec 12, 2012, 10:39:42 AM12/12/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Yep they were 100% the same height.  Using feeler gauges.   I had 4 layers of kapton under mine.

I just gave up ... Wasted a ton of plastic and time trying to get it right.  Plus I was never satisfied with the dual printing anyway... The dripping always left junk in the other colour plastic.

If I ever made small objects where I could utilize the dual printing at once or support of a different material.   I would put the kapton tape back under the right extruder.

Ben

Peter McDade

Dec 12, 2012, 11:10:59 AM12/12/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Its a tab and a notch, if you like I can go by the machine shop today and get it measured?

Adan Akerman

Dec 12, 2012, 11:12:38 AM12/12/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
No, thanks, that's okay: Dan measured his... it just makes me nervous when different descriptions come through!

Isaac, I've got you on the list now!

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Peter McDade <rock...@gmail.com> wrote:
Its a tab and a notch, if you like I can go by the machine shop today and get it measured?

Peter McDade

Dec 12, 2012, 2:08:29 PM12/12/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
No problem, thanks again for starting this group buy. I'm working on an easy way to level the build platform on the rep 2 using a test indicator currently. :)
Message has been deleted

Adan Akerman

Dec 13, 2012, 11:22:02 AM12/13/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hey Julien,

You're welcome! Happy to do it. I guess I kind of have opened a shop, as I'm managing it through my little company Akerworks. But there's no web presence for the glass buying other than this thread (thanks for your patience with it, everyone!). Maybe that should change for the next time around, just to save bandwidth on the forum.

Just to be certain: for the bigger plates, do you mean the 3.3 x 318 x 152mm size? (never hurts to double-check)

Belgium appears to be $48 with the USPS flat rate medium box. That's an additional $36 over the rate in the US. I'll need to hear back from the glass company (slow to quote this time, probably because of the variety of things I'm asking about) before I know what the larger size costs, but I don't expect it will be too much more than the normal Rep1 plates. So your cost would be 25 + (2*7) + (3*x) + 36 = $75 + $3x. Assume x < $10 (hopefully) and it looks like you'll be just over $100. To be finalized, of course, after the quote comes back.

Adan

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 10:46 AM, HaArLiNsH <haar...@gmail.com> wrote:
You should open a shop :)

Its really nice to do this for peoples

I'm interested in 3 normals plates for Rep 1 and 3 bigger plates for Rep 1

I live in Belgium , lets hope transport wont cost too much , but I'll pay for it

Thanks man !

Julien

HaArLiNsH

Dec 13, 2012, 2:04:45 PM12/13/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
adan,

After reflection , I think I gonna try some glass vendor here in Belgium or at least Europe before comfirm . You know .. transport , pollution , save the earth, just for glass :)
I'm also afraid of Taxes , USA -> Europe/Belgium import taxes can be really thick, sometimes it's like 25%

When do you plan to close the group buy ? If I don't confirm the buy before you close it , cancel my order

and yes for the bigger plates I mean 3.3 x 318 x 152 size (or something like if the price can be lowered with some kind of standard/cheaper size)

Just to be sure , the glass you use is made of borosilicate and not tempered ? Do you think it need to be some kind of sanded or just natural/flat glass ?

Julien

Avandss

Dec 13, 2012, 6:01:56 PM12/13/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hey Adan, if you dont have enough volume for the rep 2 i would up my order to 4 plates (btw do you know the shipping rate for canada / quebec ?)

tx,

Eric

Dec 14, 2012, 1:23:10 AM12/14/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'm still in for 2 plates rep 2 - shipping to Canada

Adan Akerman

Dec 14, 2012, 6:10:15 AM12/14/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hey all, quick update: I'm in a holding pattern. IGT has only one person able to quote jobs... and when he goes to Alabama for a few days they apparently just stop quoting! But he was supposedly getting back from the deep-deep south yesterday (they're in North Carolina, which is only medium deep, depending on where you are).

Canadians: your USPS rate will be +$22 over the US domestic shipping.

Avandss: I don't think volume's going to be a problem. Maybe wait until I get the quote back and we can see what the different plate options are going to run us?

Eric: Yup: I've got you in for 2 to the CAN-land :-)

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Avandss <shayan...@gmail.com> wrote:
rep

Adan Akerman

Dec 15, 2012, 7:54:12 PM12/15/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Okeydoke: got some Gla$$ numbers back yesterday, just crawled out from under the crazy to look at them.

General statement for everyone except Rep2 users: I'll assume your previously stated desires remain... unless you state differently (that is, default = no change). But I'm happy to make changes if you wish, now you've seen the numbers that will follow. We're uncommitted here

Timing: I feel bad it's taken me so long to get these numbers. I'd like to get these on order first thing Tuesday so you can get your glass soon. May we close the review/alteration process end-of-day Monday? (6pm Eastern US)

First off: Rep1 standard is unchanged; $25 for first piece, $7 each additional, international just check out USPS flat rate medium box and compare your nation's price to the $11.35 they charge for domestic US.

Next: Rep2 users, two questions for you:
  1. thickness: borosilicate glass is unavailable (from this vendor) over 5.5mm thick. Soda lime can be had at 8mm or 10mm. I'm guessing 8mm is the desirable option there?
  2. shaped vs. rectangular: price difference, per sheet, is quite large, see below. I'm guessing, based on previous feedback, that since the unshaped glass works fine and costs waaaaay less, it's the desired way to go? I'd prefer to do one or the other.
  3. (trick! third question): please review the attached drawing (noting thickness change) and/or the stated rectangular dims (8.0 x 284 x 168mm). I'm very nervous, never having laid my own eyes on a Rep2 and having seen a couple of different values used by the "Unshaped Replacements" pioneers. Engineering work in isolation from the problem is fraught with dangers.

Finally: all the numbers:

Rep1 standard: boro, 3.3 x 230 x 150mm  first piece: $25.00; each additional: $7.00
Rep1 X-Pando: boro, 3.3 x 318 x 152mm first piece: $26.74 each additional: $8.74
boro, 3.3 x 317.5 x 419mm (12.5" x 16.5") first piece: $46.14 each additional: $28.14
boro, 3.3 x 381 x 381mm (15" x 15") first piece: $47.49 each additional: $29.49
Prusa Mendel (standard?): boro, 3.3 x 203 x 203mm (8" x 8") $26.05 each additional: $8.05

Rep2 standard, shaped soda lime glass (see drawing) 8.0 x 284 x 170mm overall first piece: $49.84; each additional: $31.84
-or-
Rep2 standard, soda lime glass, 8.0 x 284 x 168mm first piece: $27.66 each additional: $9.66

Phew. A lot to think about there. Hit me back with your guidance and requests (or not, if no change)!

Adan

REP2 PLATE AS-SHIPPED.PDF

Mark Salerno

Dec 15, 2012, 8:11:20 PM12/15/12
to make...@googlegroups.com, make...@googlegroups.com
Adan
Put me down for two
Rep2 standard, soda lime glass, 8.0 x 284 x 168mm first piece: $27.66 each additional: $9.66

Thanks for your efforts.

Mark

Adan Akerman

Dec 15, 2012, 8:14:12 PM12/15/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
You got it - and you're welcome! It's all good.

Eric

Dec 15, 2012, 8:47:14 PM12/15/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'm down for 2x Rep2 standard, soda lime glass, 8.0 x 284 x 168mm first piece: $27.66 each additional: $9.66

As Mark said, thanks for all the work you've done for this. Given the current location I live in (you'll understand come shipping time) , I would not have been able to do this without difficulty.

Cheers,

Eric

geezer

Dec 15, 2012, 9:33:03 PM12/15/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Adan,

I would like to modify my order to:
2 x Rep1 standard: boro, 3.3 x 230 x 150mm  first piece: $25.00; each additional: $7.00
2 x Prusa Mendel (standard?): boro, 3.3 x 203 x 203mm (8" x 8") $26.05 each additional: $8.05

Thanks for organizing all of this.
Regards,
Randolph

Eighty

Dec 15, 2012, 9:35:36 PM12/15/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, looks like rectangular for the Rep2. Still in for 3. Your hard work is much appreciated!

Avandss

Dec 16, 2012, 12:18:48 AM12/16/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
2x Rep2 standard, shaped soda lime glass (see drawing) 8.0 x 284 x 170mm overall first piece: $49.84; each additional: $31.84

quick question since i dont have the rep 2 yet. the little notches i guess snap in? and the advantage would be that it is aligned or something?

what are the pros of having the shaped one vs the basic one?
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Infinityplusplus

Dec 16, 2012, 12:40:41 PM12/16/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I am gonna bump my order up to 4 rep2 plates. looks like 8mm unshaped is the way we want to go? works for me.

Adan Akerman

Dec 16, 2012, 1:57:36 PM12/16/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi Avandss,

Yeah, the notches assist with alignment. The reports back from the Unshaped Glass Pioneers suggest that the notches are unnecessary. If it proves a problem, you may put a Sharpie mark on the side of the glass to prevent gross misalignment.

I'm in the same boat as you: never seen a Rep2. We're leveraging the group knowledge here.

Roger that, Eric/Geezer/Eighty/Infinityplusplus.

Adan

Chris Pittman

Dec 16, 2012, 3:31:31 PM12/16/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'm definitely still in for 2 of the un shaped rep2 plates.

Rep2 standard, soda lime glass, 8.0 x 284 x 168mm first piece: $27.66 each additional: $9.66

Thanks again!

Ethan Hayon

Dec 16, 2012, 4:30:14 PM12/16/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hey Adan,

I'm down for 2 simple soda-lime plates for the rep2.

Thanks for doing this!
What do you need from me?

Ethan

On Dec 6, 2012 3:02 PM, "Adan Akerman" <ad...@akerworks.com> wrote:
[...]

Nathan Ryan

Dec 17, 2012, 9:06:09 AM12/17/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hey Adan, thanks for your work on this.  I'm interested in 4 x Rep1 Xpando.

Is that $53 for the glass, plus 33.35 for shipping to Canada?  86.35 total?

Cheers,
Nathan

James Harbal

Dec 17, 2012, 9:09:13 AM12/17/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
What kind of "Scratch Dig" and Tolerance Requirements are you making for the glass supplier for this?

Thanks?

Mark Salerno

Dec 17, 2012, 10:26:39 AM12/17/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
to Jeff Roush

I have the exact same problem but only at the front corners.  So if I print out in the center or rear it works but front corners peel.

The could solve the problem by mechanically leveling the plate then use a software calibration at the edges and allow the device to take care of any warping.

Mark

Mark Salerno
Chief Technical Wizard
Integrated Control Corporation
Fresh Technology for Good Food

From: Jeff Roush <roush...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 21:48:39 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [MakerBot] Replicator 1... and 2? Glass Group Buy... Again?

Hi Adan, Put me down for one, also. Thanks! Rep2 standard, soda lime glass, 8.0 x 284 x 168mm first piece: $27.66 each additional: $9.66 This is my first post to this list, but I've learned a lot by reading the emails. My Rep 2 plexiglass plate is warped. Just a bit. It's not even visible. But it's just enough that if I have the wrong side down, I can't print anything without its corners curling off the bed. But if I flip the plate over over, moderately sized prints do okay. I'm really looking forward to a flat plate. Jeff

Ian Lougheed

Dec 17, 2012, 1:24:08 PM12/17/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'm still in for 2 Replicator 2 8mm plates. Unshaped is fine. Canadian, and saw the USPS pricing for shipping.

Peter McDade

Dec 17, 2012, 1:30:38 PM12/17/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Adan,

Im still good for 4x Rep2 standard, soda lime glass, 8.0 x 284 x 168mm first piece: $27.66 each additional: $9.66

Thanks!
Pete

Lost Soul

Dec 17, 2012, 1:46:00 PM12/17/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adan,

If it's not too late, change my order to 2 standard Rep-1 and 2 non-shaped soda Rep-2 plates.

Thanks,
Dave

It is loading more messages.