An error occurred in the background service

WhiteClouds

Jul 8, 2013, 1:39:25 PM7/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'm receiving the following message in MakerWare each time I try to print - "An error occurred in the background service."

I've tried to stop and restart background services and even uninstalled and reinstalled MakerWare.

Nothing has worked so far. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Cris

DHeadrick

Jul 8, 2013, 1:45:51 PM7/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Print from SD.  I'm assuming you are trying to print by USB.

Damian Gto

Jul 8, 2013, 2:10:36 PM7/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Well this comes up time to time.
Its a file thats get weird that needs to be deleted.
So go to :
C:\Program Files (x86)\MakerBot\MakerWare
and delete conveyord.pid

P.S it working just fine to print from makerware so long you do not use Saifish.

DHeadrick

Jul 8, 2013, 2:33:54 PM7/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
I know it can be done, it just shouldn't.  It is way safer to just print from the SD so that computer problems do not throw another variable into the mix.

Damian Gto

Jul 8, 2013, 3:02:19 PM7/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Its more safe to buy the stuff to ;-)
The point is that there is people that do use USB, like me and do not have the problem some people say you must have.
Also if you want to upgrade the firmware you need to use the USB to ;-)

But that was not the question that OP did ask about.
I offered a solution to it and it works 99% of the time.

Dan Newman

Jul 8, 2013, 4:33:52 PM7/8/13
to make...@googlegroups.com

On 8 Jul 2013 , at 12:02 PM, Damian Gto wrote:

> Its more safe to buy the stuff to ;-)
> The point is that there is people that do use USB, like me and do not have
> the problem some people say you must have.

And, as usual, Bjorn misses the point.

> Also if you want to upgrade the firmware you need to use the USB to ;-)

True, but using the comms implemented in avrdude which is well tested
and used by tens of thousands of people and thus has had issues well
worked out. Not so much so with MakerWare which clearly still has issues
in this department as witness Sailfish turning one up which MBI has
acknowledged and has a fix to Conveyor for. Net result is that thanks
to Sailfish, MBI will be able to improve the reliability of their USB
printing thanks to the work pioneered in Sailfish. (And they are indeed
very interested in so doing, what with the new Windows 8.1 work going
on.)

Dan

Heath

Aug 14, 2013, 8:02:33 AM8/14/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Late reply but found what worked for me.

.thing file name was in norwegian and contained 'æ' (I suppose if it contained anything non-english it would do the same)

I deleted this and put into makerbot and exported to SD etc etc. all worked fine!

andrew wheeler

Aug 15, 2013, 9:48:01 PM8/15/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Was having the problem with some files and not others it turned out to be a "." at the beginning of the name of the file I was printing eg. .6mm.stl so maybe there is a problem in the error handling of file name when makerware hands the file off to the slicer.
Check that you are using normal characters a-z 0-9 only (from the US character set).
The error I was getting had nothing to do with usb or sd card printing.
PS. I don't know whats wrong with my printer / pc combination as I have only had 1 failure usb printing (most of my jobs would take about 1-3hr to print so lucky for me, I can totally understand that sd card printing is better than usb but hay I keep losing my sb cards on my desk (the pc is to large to lose)

Hope this helps

Kaan Şengül

Sep 20, 2013, 8:01:36 AM9/20/13
to make...@googlegroups.com
Andrew's advice works just fine. Thank you Andrew.

Haas

Jan 4, 2014, 10:03:24 PM1/4/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
I Just started having this problem right after completing a print of the same file.
I can't seem to find this "conveyord.pid" file anywhere.
The trouble is I can't even export to an SD either.

yournam...@yahoo.com

Jan 5, 2014, 7:19:45 AM1/5/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
I get this message when trying to slice with a custom profile made with Proftweak

Tao Li

Mar 19, 2014, 10:49:23 AM3/19/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hass

Have you found a solution for your problem, i've just had a similar one.

在 2014年1月5日星期日UTC+8上午11时03分24秒,Haas写道: