Replicator 2 Replacement Carriage Sources??

Scott Lichtsinn

Mar 23, 2017, 4:14:55 PM3/23/17
to Makerbot Users
I recently acquired a couple Rep 2's that are battered and beat, everything is there except the single extruder carriage, i've been hunting high and low for these and can't seem to find them available for sale anywhere.  I know i could get a hold of the dual carriage easy enough, and there is aluminum versions of the single carriage available, but at over $100 each for the aluminum and not wanting to make them dual extruder models i'm hoping someone out there knows a source for the plain old original plastic single extruder carriage so i can get these working again.

Long story short, these came out of a school maker-space/shop and one of the carriages got melted badly from what i was told and the other got broken when trying to repair a really bad mess when the print came unstuck and made a big ball of plastic on the extruder.  So they gave up on repairing them after they couldn't locate the carriages for sale.  I've got them all repaired to the point that everything works i just don't have carriages for them.

I could 3d print a part i guess, the model is on thingiverse, but i would rather have the reliability of a injection molded replacement like the originals.  Makerbot was no help of course when i contacted them, and searching the web for days, along with eBay and others i can't find them anywhere!!

Any help??

Thanks!
Message has been deleted

Greg Thorstad

Mar 23, 2017, 5:56:14 PM3/23/17
to Makerbot Users
I normally don’t like to do advertising on here but when someone says they have looked everywhere for a part that we have sitting in stock, I have to make an exception.
We are in Canada but do have  the part in stock.  Our website is  www.Thor3D.ca or you send me a private email with your contact details and I can get you a quote.

Greg Thorstad, B.Comm
Thorstad Computers Inc./Thor3D/Canadian Makerbot Distributor
Box 268
Outlook,SK S0L 2N0
306 867-9596
gr...@thorstad.ca

TobyCWood

Mar 23, 2017, 6:49:39 PM3/23/17
to makerbo...@googlegroups.com
That part could have... SHOULD have been made out of aluminum. I have 3 made by Carl. Unlike the OEM crap Carl's has the channel for the TC and heater cables to go from underneath to above without the wires getting pinched by the stepper motor. An aluminum carriage is required when it's time to print with PETg or Nylon.
BTW... I just noticed... the parts sold by Greg are also made by Carl.

GilmoreofOK

Apr 4, 2017, 4:33:50 PM4/4/17
to Makerbot Users
Carl is that the Extruder Carriage, or your end axis carriages?