female questionable Tanager photos

Donna Cundy

May 24, 2017, 8:16:27 PM5/24/17
to Maine birds

These are all photos of the same female Tanager  that some think is a Summer and others a Scarlet.

Donna Cundy

May 24, 2017, 8:19:24 PM5/24/17
to Maine birds
Sorry - forgot to say - Monhegan

world oceans

May 24, 2017, 8:33:33 PM5/24/17
to Donna Cundy, Maine birds
Hi,
I would lean toward Summer, though I am not sure. There seems to be a lot of gray here, and it is hard to tell how much of that is an effect of the light. My evidence for Summer is the big thick bill, the apparent lack of really dark color in the wings, the generally pale appearance of the upperparts, and the variations in color between the head and the rest of the bird. I have actually seen some western forms of Summer which are plumaged quite similarly to this bird, so we shouldn't even rule that out. I am currently based in the Southeast where I see a lot of tanagers of both species in the course of a year.....this just doesn't look much like a Scarlet to me. But again, I am not positive.

James Gibson
ex-Fort Kent