Whimbrels in Harrington

Craig Kesselheim

Jul 23, 2016, 1:24:46 PM7/23/16
to Maine Birders Listserv
Hi all -- Since my lifetime high count for Whimbrel is 10, I was taken by the numbers reported by Merle and Ann Archie in the past couple of days. Went out to Flat Bay this morning and my scan in the scope yielded 118 Whimbrel on the mudflats east of Oak Point Rd. Hundreds of peep sp (looking across toward Oak Point), a scattering of S-b Dowitchers, and one audible / briefly seen Red-bellied Woodpecker.

Obviously a really significant ecological location for migrants. Thanks to the Archies for their posts.

Link to the morning's list here (no photos, sorry). Scopes are essential equipment here.

Craig K