Rare Bird Alert

Kenneth S Mirman

Jul 18, 2017, 4:21:16 AM7/18/17
to maine...@googlegroups.com
It is my understanding that the Leach’s Storm Petrel is common in Maine in July. I thought you might be interested in a report of one striking a window at my house at 2:30 AM

Leach’s Storm Petrel
I heard two thumps against a window at my home in Machiasport, Maine along the Little Kennebec Bay. I saw a Leach’s Storm Petrel on the deck flapping its wings but facing the house.
The bird was dark brown
A light band reached the leading edge of the wing
The tail was definitely forked (obviously so)
The distal portion of the white rump patch was not rounded but gave a more triangular appearance with possibly a central dark vertical  band separating the patch.

After a few minutes it disappeared (while I was looking for my camera).

If of interest, the winds were South at  5 to 10 kt. and the sea was 2 to 3 feet.There was widespread fog with visibility less than 1 nautical mile.

Unfortunately, I have had several species of bird strikes at my house but never a petrel.

Bill Baker

Jul 19, 2017, 10:25:13 AM7/19/17
to Maine birds
There are several options available online to limit bird strikes to your window you should look into.