wind impact on songbirds, particularly flycatchers

cathie...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2016, 4:54:10 PM8/22/16
to Maine birds
Hello all,
Have you noticed that in general the average velocity of breezes/wind is higher and the duration of strong breezes/winds is longer recently? (Is there a name to quantify this magnitude/duration phenomenon?) I assume it's related to global warming/climate change and the generally more powerful movements of air due to temperature differences, etc.
I wonder how this is impacting our songbirds, particularly flycatchers. We have had few of those "lazy days of summer" with insects floating in the air and phoebes snapping them up. The drought has impacted insect numbers of course, but what about the wind's impact on predator success?
Is anyone studying this?  Is there a way to contribute useful observations? Or do you think nothing is amiss?
Feel free to respond offline if you don't think this is of broad interest.
Thanks,
Cathie Murray, Hallowell

Jess Home

Aug 22, 2016, 5:00:52 PM8/22/16
to cathie...@gmail.com, Maine birds
I'm extremely interested in hearing more.

Sent from my iPhone

Shelagh Delphyne

Aug 23, 2016, 2:16:02 AM8/23/16
to Jess Home, cathie...@gmail.com, Maine birds
I moved to North Wales in the UK 18 months ago and the wind is relentless, summer and winter. Calm days are extremely rare. I am told by locals that it is unusual for it to be this bad. I miss those lovely, calm, windless Maine days. We are also still having torrential rain and little sunshine.

Shelagh, now in North Wales