MACHIAS SEAL ISLAND REPORT

RALPH ELDRIDGE

Sep 24, 2016, 7:07:05 AM9/24/16
to Maine birds
I returned to MSI on Wednesday last but I've had little time or opportunity for birding due to construction work (lighthouse renovation) that's underway. That's also keeping most birds away from the immediate vicinity of the buildings.

Some migrants are obvious; FLICKERS for example, and CEDAR WAXWINGS.
RED BREASTED NUTHATCHES are still very abundant with several frequently in view. However, raptors are foremost.
With generally fair weather, they haven't been stopping much but yesterday produced both high through-traffic as well as lots of birds stopping to catch a meal or two.
We escaped most of the rain until afternoon but then there were periods of heavy precipitation between 14:00 and 18:00. Nonetheless, the raptors didn't slow their hunting and with several continuously cruising the island, the prey had little respite.
At one point there were 2 MERLINS and 1 HARRIER on the front lawn, each consuming a luckless victim and not at all deterred from hunting in even very heaviest rain.
There were frequently 1 to 3 KESTRELS perching on our patio, and making forays after insects (and birds) around the lawn & boardwalks.
I have no idea how many raptors may have moved through during the whole day, but at one moment I counted 6 KESTRELS, 4 HARRIERS, 3 MERLINS, 3 PEREGRINES & 2 SHARP SHINNED HAWKS as well as an (apparently) local EAGLE hunting nearby.

This morning is bright, damp and cold ..... definite Fall weather ...... and several Raptors are hunting. I've confirmed 3 different PEREGRINES, 2 HARRIERS & 3 KESTRELS present since daylight and presumed to have over-nighted here.

Along with the birds, our other fliers, mainly RED ADMIRAL and MONARCH BUTTERFLIES, are trickling through, with a stronger pulse late Thursday.