Late report: PACIFIC LOON, Great Wass Island, 6/13

William Hutcheson

Jun 23, 2016, 1:22:49 PM6/23/16
to Mainebirds
Mainebirds,
Apologies for the late report, but other things got in the way...
On 6/13, I observed a Pacific Loon in Western Bay, Great Wass Island, in Beals.  The bird was pretty distant but identifiable at least Pacific/Arctic (Arctific), with Pacific being far more likely.  It was transitioning into alternate plumage and showed a pale gray nape blending to a very dark throat that contrasted sharply with a white chest, a straight, lightweight bill, and a rounded profile.  I watched it for 15 minutes and was able to capture some rather poor phonescoped images, but after I ran up to the house for my real camera, the bird had vanished.  As far as I can tell based on a cursory glance at eBird, this would represent one of few, if any, records for Pacific Loon in Maine east of Belfast, and one of only a couple of non-winter records.  I wonder if last year's Brunswick bird moved down east...
See eBird checklist for images:
Good birding,
Willy Hutcheson
Concord, MA (Great Wass Island, ME)