Whimbrel Report July 23

Merle and Anne Archie

Jul 23, 2016, 6:57:39 PM7/23/16
to Maine birds
Our morning low-tide Whimbrel count was 90+ (other birders from different viewing stations this morning also reported their sightings - there are a lot of Whimbrels out there!!).

Our Whimbrel count for the evening low-tide completed 20 minutes ago is again 90+ Whimbrel. Viewing conditions are not good with hazy, humid air and strong winds associated with an incoming storm.

New species added to the dowitchers, terns, peeps, yellowlegs tidal feeding party in Flat Bay are Black-bellied Plover, Semi-palmated Plover and Bonaparte's Gull. More shorebird flocks are coming into the bay now.

David Doubleday

Jul 23, 2016, 8:49:59 PM7/23/16
to Maine birds
Please tell us the location of these observations.

Craig Kesselheim

Jul 24, 2016, 6:52:20 AM7/24/16
to David Doubleday, Maine birds
Flat Bay is in Harrington, Washington County. Accessible from Flat Bay Road or Oak Point Rd., both of which are right turns off of Rte 1.

Merle and Anne are the locals who know where to park.

Craig K