goldfinches vs siskins

Bob Duchesne

Feb 7, 2016, 5:42:39 PM2/7/16
to maine...@googlegroups.com

What a weird winter. I’ve got about 30 goldfinches coming into my feeders, and only one occasional pine siskin. But along the Stud Mill Road east of Milford, you can’t stop the car anywhere without hearing them. They’re swarming everywhere this winter. Three crossbill flyovers while I was out there today, too.

Bob Duchesne

Sarah Caputo

Feb 7, 2016, 10:25:23 PM2/7/16
to maine birds
I encountered a large flock of Siskins at Acadia today along the carriage trails, feeding on cones.  Have  a large flock of resident Goldfinches, though mainly make passes at the feeder when the weather is bad, rest of the time in the woods and fields around the house. Had a few siskins mixed in earlier this winter but not now.

Sarah

From: duch...@midmaine.com
To: maine...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [Maine-birds] goldfinches vs siskins
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2016 17:42:54 -0500

What a weird winter. I’ve got about 30 goldfinches coming into my feeders, and only one occasional pine siskin. But along the Stud Mill Road east of Milford, you can’t stop the car anywhere without hearing them. They’re swarming everywhere this winter. Three crossbill flyovers while I was out there today, too.

Bob Duchesne

Rob O'Connell

Feb 7, 2016, 11:02:28 PM2/7/16
to Maine birds
Here in Cumberland, I had the same situation as Sarah with Pine Siskin at the feeders. One stretch of a few days where they mobbed the feeders and then they were gone. No sign since. I have a resident flock of about 30-50 American Goldfinch that appear happy not to have the competition. There were plenty to be had in Misery though back at the beginning of the year! Seemed like every road I turned down had a flock.

Cheers!
Rob O.