C. Nighthawks migrating

Kristen Lindquist

Aug 19, 2016, 4:02:18 PM8/19/16
to Maine Birds
A birder friend in Lincolnville, Gary Gulezian, told me that he had seen a group of 30 or so Common Nighthawks passing through his yard this morning.

This is not unusual during "fall" migration, and I've seen mention on this list-serve of at least one similar sighting in the past week or so (though this is the first I'd heard of in the Midcoast area). Nighthawk migration always takes me by surprise--I guess I'm not ready for summer to be that far gone.

In any case, this was a reminder for me to keep an eye out for nighthawks moving south. About the size of an American Robin but with longer, pointy wings and a distinct, erratic way of flying, the nighthawk is really cool to watch in flight, especially in the numbers that you can sometimes see during migration.

And I know, I know, shorebirds have been migrating for weeks now...

Kristen

--
Kristen Lindquist

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama

Allison Wells

Aug 19, 2016, 11:28:35 PM8/19/16
to Kristen Lindquist, Maine Birds
Had a single one in Hallowell yesterday at around 6pm.

Allison Wells

Sent from my iPhone

website: www.kristenlindquist.com<http://www.kristenlindquist.com>
haiku blog: klindquist.blogspot.com<http://klindquist.blogspot.com>