MACHIAS DEAL ISLAND REPORT

RALPH ELDRIDGE

May 28, 2017, 10:07:46 AM5/28/17
to Maine birds
The TERNS have settled down somewhat. The 1st egg was spotted about 3 days ago and several more had been found by Saturday evening.
Birds are staying overnight on the island and there are quite a few flying at night.
The numbers aren't what I'd hoped but it looks like it could be a good year; food and weather permitting.

An adult BLACK TERN is making its presence known this morning. As they are prone to do, it's trying to elicit some interest from among the ARCTIC TERNS, with no success.
The Arctics see the Blacks as a nuisance, at best, and at worst, a threat when they try to usurp an Arctic's nest.
Hopefully this one will learn the rules of behaviour and settle down, maybe build its own nest and make a quiet life in Tern Suburbia.
For a few years just prior to the Tern Colony crash of '06 we had two female Black Terns nesting, albeit with unfertilized eggs, but we had hopes of males being attracted in '07. In late '06 there was 1, and possibly 2, apparent males which showed up and seemed romantically inclined. However, the Blacks left when the other species plunged and only started to show renewed interest last year.

I heard some LAUGHING GULLS early this morning and I spotted 6 flying over just a moment ago.

Our core group of 3 GANNETS have attracted a couple more and two rather lackadaisical nest buildings are underway.
One Gannet was seen exploring a new area close to the North-most visitor blind yesterday. This morning, number 6 appeared.
A couple of times I saw 3-4 DOUBLE CRESTED CORMORANTS land with the Gannets. They didn't stay long but it clearly demonstrated the decoy effect. Gannets have been known to nest in Cormorant colonies. I don't know if the reverse is true but I'd not be surprised. The two species are similar in many ways.

The Alcids are following their normal cycles with nothing of particular note, other than the ANCIENT MURRELET, which is old news by now.
No new sightings here and I haven't heard of recent sighting elsewhere.

A couple of BLACK GUILLIMOTS have been hanging around a bit but not enough yet to seriously suspect a nest. I don't believe that there has been a pair nest here for several years.

The LEACH'S STORM PETRELS are into their nesting and most nights are alive with their chuckling. Occasional WILSON'S STORM PETRELS show up among the Leach's.

A few PURPLE SANDPIPERS are still resisting migration. It's not exceptionally late but I'd expect them to be gone fairly soon.
Two other winter birds stopped over for a couple days in the form of a pair of HARLEQUIN DUCKS. As with the P. Sandpipers, they are late but not exceptionally so.

RUDDY TURNSTONES have been seen a few time lately, including one just behind the lighthouse Friday afternoon.

This past two nights there seemed to be strong migration but there haven't been many stop-overs, just a scattered warbler, a few Thrushes, a couple new WHITE THROATED SPARROWS and a flycatcher or two. There's a YELLOW WARBLER and a MAGNOLIA WARBLER on the patio at the moment, gleaning insects and a LEAST FLYCATCHER in front of the window hawking fliers for breakfast.

 Yesterday there was a BLACKPOLL WARBLER that borrowed a page from the Swallow's play book. Its imitation was so good that it took a couple minutes to be certain just which species I was watching. This individual zipped around the houses and buildings, along the ground and boardwalks, almost touching, at extreme speed, snapping miniscule insects.
Its Swallow tutors would be proud.

 A couple of real swallows, BARN SWALLOWS, are chasing insects this morning. They are presumed overnight arrivals.

I have a new species for my Grape Jelly list: SAVANNAH SPARROW. I've noticed that at least 2 Savannahs are dipping their beaks quite regularly.
At first I thought that they were after insects attracted to the sweet meal or perhaps just looking for a drink of liquid pooled in the containers.
However, once I took the time to actually watch them it was very evident that they are eating the jelly.
They aren't the gluttons that CATBIRDS can be but they are faithful.

Raptors are occasional but not quite daily. I see a couple of young adult EAGLES from time to time and PEREGRINES are frequent.
Most notable are HARRIERS, like the one which was here yesterday, not because of their number but because we generally don't see much of them after the migration.
 It seems to me that there are more Harriers and later this year.

BIRD OF THE DAY: OSPREY. One has made a couple circuits of the island this morning. It's exceptional because we see so few. The lion's share are fall migrants, with somewhat fewer on the north-bound migration. This one would be a particularly late migrant or perhaps just a wandering soul.

There are a goodly number of EIDERS around the island and there is still lots of pre-nesting property inspection going on.
I watched a pair land about 50 yards from the house and then walk a bit closer.
At that point He apparently said, "There, you're home. I'm going for an Urchin with the boys." He promptly flew to the water and the flock.
She never looked back but made a fast run/walk for about 25 yards, disappearing into taller vegetation and a presumed nest. It's surprising now fast they can travel through the vegetation and completely disappear.

Over the past week or so we had a day-flying LITTLE BROWN BAT on 2 separate occasions. Since there was a gap of a couple days, and as much as I'd like to think they are resident here, I believe that they were 2 individuals migrating.
Long-time readers may remember that we used to have a small resident population of bats and they were regularly seen day-feeding because we have few night-flying insects. Our population apparently succumbed like most other bats and we are lucky to see even one bat in a whole summer.

Karen Burke

May 29, 2017, 8:42:43 PM5/29/17
to Maine birds
I enjoy your reports Ralph. Thank you for your efforts.
Karen Burke
Lubec Maine