Cerulean Warbler--Brunswick

Delia Guzman

May 21, 2018, 11:57:14 AM5/21/18
to Maine birds
Hello all,
I had the pleasure (not to mention the surprise) of hearing a CEWA in my yard (we have woods behind and around us, despite living right in town) this morning. I couldn't get a photo, as I was already late for work, but I paused long enough to record the song. It's loaded on my eBird checklist here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45894681

This is the first time I've heard this bird in the woods or my yard; I regularly have BT Green, Yellow, Yellow-rumped, and Ovenbird in the woods and my yard, but this one is a real shocker. No idea if he'll stay in my area, but I sure hope he does!

Thanks!
Delia in Brunswick

Delia Guzman

May 21, 2018, 12:05:48 PM5/21/18
to Doug Hitchcox, Maine birds
Doug,
Thanks for this--you may well be right. It would certainly make more sense! Call off the dogs, folks!
DGB

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 12:02 PM, Doug Hitchcox <dhit...@mac.com> wrote:
Hi Delia:

This sounds like the “dawn song” of Northern Parula. I am outside on my phone so I could be wrong but you might want to look up that recording and compare the two. Hope this helps!

Good birding,

Doug

Sent from my iPhone

duch...@midmaine.com

May 21, 2018, 12:51:36 PM5/21/18
to Maine birds
The Penobscot Chapter of Maine Audubon enjoyed a warbler walk in Bradley
this morning, walking one mile along Government Road through the Penobscot
Experimental Forest to Leonard's Mills. Terrific walk, with 43 species
tallied.
Noteworthy: TEN Tennessee Warblers, often in very close proximity to each
other, singing like crazy! Looks like a good fallout from last night. Also
a black-billed cuckoo. Glad to hear the eastern wood-pewees back.

Bob Duchesne

Joanne Stevens

May 21, 2018, 1:30:03 PM5/21/18
to maine...@googlegroups.com
I wasn't able to hear the recording but another possibility is a Black-throated Blue Warbler which will sometimes sing a Cerulean song.  Pat Moynahan and I have had a BTBL immediately zoom in while playing a Cerulean song and just a couple of days ago we had a Cerulean sing a BTBL song in western Mass.  Just to make bird song more difficult than it already is!

Joanne Stevens
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to maine-birds...@googlegroups.com.