Can't identify bird- sorry, no photo

Linda Elliott

Jul 17, 2017, 9:11:43 PM7/17/17
to Maine birds
Two days ago, I spotted a bird that I was unable to identify and have not found it using all of my birding apps so I'm hoping someone may have an idea as to what it was.
The bird was approximately the size of a crow. The head was completely black. The neck, "bib" and underbelly where white. The back appeared to be black and white although it was hard to see from a distance. The bird was perched on a tree branch next to a lake near Mt. Katahdin and was diving into the lake, just at the edge of the water, seemingly fishing. The dive was really fast and the wings spread out as it went down, then at the last minute, folded like a bullet. It also seemed to twist in the air as it went down, landed with a splash, but was not submerged as the water is shallow in that area, and immediately became airborne again. The bird was also making a "ratchety" noise just before it started to fish.
It was definitely not a loon.
Any ideas?

John Lorenc

Jul 17, 2017, 9:24:52 PM7/17/17
to Maine birds
I'm guessing you saw a Belted Kingfisher. It's probably appeared black and white in the light, but is actually blue and white.

Linda Elliott

Jul 18, 2017, 6:59:07 PM7/18/17
to Maine birds
Thank you all so very much! The bird was in the shade so it could easily have been blue instead of black! It was a fun bird to watch. I hope to see another sometime soon! Thanks again!
Linda E.