of nighthawks and hawks

Peter Vickery

Aug 19, 2016, 8:08:32 PM8/19/16
to Maine Birds
Barbara and I saw at least 83 nighthawks, one flock of 65, over the Wesley Barrens north of Machias yesterday evening.

Today, at Boot Head in Lubec, we came across a reasonable, and to me very early, fall hawk flight (but Seth would know better). We saw 15+ Broadwings, one kettle of 9, 17 Sharpies, a few Osprey, 7 Red-tails (2 obvious migrants) - all circling for thermals and heading SW. As I said, this seemed early to me.

Bruce the Third (I think) resident on the trail with Boreal Chickadees, W-W Crossbills, etc.. essentially no warblers.

Brief j Baird’s at the shorebird roost from the Lubec health center.

Lovely day.

Best, Petewr