more bobolinks

Michael Boardman

Jun 14, 2016, 12:22:19 PM6/14/16
to Maine birds
A little addition to the bobolink conversation of late.
We were walking our dog at Twinbrook park in Cumberland and noticed they were mowing the fields (which have been fairly regular spots for bobolink activity).
A friend who has been watching the birds all spring approached the mower as we could see bobolinks in a frenzy all around the field he was currently working on.
To the mower's credit he immediately stopped and let us contact the town office, who claimed they had seen on a website somewhere that bobolinnks should have fledged by now.
Obviously they had not. The farmer left the fields unmowed, but if you are a Cumberland resident it might be a good idea to contact the town and let them know you care about the nesting birds.
Maybe it would be a good idea for a few folks from our community next year to monitor the birds to see which fields they are using and give a best guess on fledging activity?
Just a thought. I'd be willing to pitch in where needed.

Michael Boardman
North Yarmouth

Geoffrey Ives

Jun 16, 2016, 1:39:57 PM6/16/16
to Maine birds
It's especially bad this year. Because of the drought hayers are way ahead of schedule and excited to "make hay while the sunshines." Unfortunately that means they are going to thoughtlessly devastate the bob-o-Link population of New England, while the sun shines. It's happening. We're letting it happen.

Geoffrey Ives

Jul 7, 2016, 12:29:41 PM7/7/16
to Maine birds
After 45 days of hay activity in Cornih, our yard, about three acres in back, is the only field nearby that has not been hayed. Today I was rewarded by a group of about 20 to 25 bob-o-links a mix of babies, males and females. My gut tells me the bob-o-link breeding was largely a failure this year due to the drought and haying. But at least there's a group getting a good sense of who their Daddy is in preparation for next year.

Cindy Elias

Jul 7, 2016, 2:13:57 PM7/7/16
to Maine birds
I have been watching nesting bobolinks on Lewiston Junction Road in Auburn.    It does not appear to be a field that would be mowed but I will continue to watch.

Cindy Elias

Barbara Herrgesell

Jul 7, 2016, 3:49:21 PM7/7/16
to maine...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know of any sure place where there have been bobolinks (and still are) near Sanford? I searched Laudholm last week, but came up with none. Usually there have been a field full of them. (Didn't get there last year.) I must have looked in the wrong fields? Not habitat at the Sanford lagoons, I would guess.
Hope some would be around next week; I'm having minor surgery tomorrow.
My friend in Springvale had the pleasure of watching an adult Hairy Woodpecker teaching its newly fledged one, how to eat from a suet feeder!
Barbara
~~

Barbara Partridge Herrgesell
Sanford, ME

Geoffrey Ives

Jul 8, 2016, 6:44:48 AM7/8/16
to Maine birds
Barbara - I'm no expert but it's going to need to be a place that's not hayed. Otherwise you'll be looking for the gathering refugees from all the haying which has destroyed their broods this year. Where haying hasn't taken place they are now wrapping up their child rearing activities and prepping for the trip back to South America. Unfortunately most humans, farmers, and mowers are not aware of this tiny songbird treasure and just carry on with their business while destroying nests and babies. Go humans!

Dean Tyler

Jul 9, 2016, 8:31:35 AM7/9/16
to Maine birds
I have been watching a field near my house house in Hancock with at least 8 nesting pairs. I don't know if this has been posted before, but The Bobolink Project will pay mowers to mow later when funds are available. So far, it is mainly happening in southern New England (CT, RI, MA), but with increased support they hope to expand. Check out boblinkproject.com. There is good information.

Best regards,
Dean Tyler

Dave Thompson

Jul 9, 2016, 12:11:49 PM7/9/16
to Maine birds
California Fields Wildlife Area, Hollis.
Bobolinks nest there

Cindy Elias

Jul 9, 2016, 7:41:54 PM7/9/16
to Maine birds
Glad to know that.  The Lewiston Junction bobolinks may be in danger of getting mowed.  :(   Cindy

Cindy Elias

Jul 21, 2016, 1:49:50 PM7/21/16
to Maine birds
The Lewiston Junction bobolinks have been mowed.   At least I know they had a successful nesting because we counted quite a few fledglings before the mowing happened.  :(
Cindy

AMF

Jul 21, 2016, 5:10:19 PM7/21/16
to maine...@googlegroups.com
My fields in Benton (Sebasticook River) have been mowed this week.  Mowing was delayed to protect the bobolinks.  There have been no bobolinks in the field for the last few weeks.  We had four kestrel young fledge two weeks ago.  Mom and dad brought food and just dropped it off on a ledge on the barn and the young fought over it.  There was a pecking order.  The biggest one got first helpings.  I do not know if the kestrel parents raided the bobolink parents and nests in the field.  The food (critters) were being dropped off every few minutes by the parents at random windows of time.

Allan

Julia Hanauer-Milne

Jul 21, 2016, 5:54:40 PM7/21/16
to AMF, maine...@googlegroups.com
My neighborhood kestrels fledged sometime this week. There are two to three babies. It's been such a treat to watch the parents hunt up near our house and all down the road. And now it's fun to watch the babies learn to fly. They're a little wobbly and don't always land with grace. The barn swallows are giving them hell.

Julia
in Sidney