nesting King Rail and history

Andrew Aldrich

Dec 11, 2017, 12:05:08 PM12/11/17
to Maine Birds

Hello All,
    This is to share the good news of a successful breeding of king rails and a brief history of the them in Maine over the last two years in the wells marsh of of Eldridge Rd. This was not made public because they did not want people to walk onto the marsh and look for them.  The Juvenile that was seen was way out in the marsh and not near  Eldridge Rd.

    On Aug. 29,2017 Bri. Bri Benvenute documented this on her ebird checklist:  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40836430

3
King Rail

Continuing pair - Breeding successful breeding confirmed. On Aug. 29, 2017 at ~10am, I saw 1 chick (still in down so presumably < 1 month old per BNA) and 1 adult on the marsh off Eldridge Road (out of public access). I heard an additional adult and juvenile calls for about 15 minutes. At least 2 AHY and 1 HY present, likely more chicks but not seen. One adult was incidentally captured while mist-netting saltmarsh sparrows. It was released unbanded and appeared to be in good health. I did not think to take measurements since we couldn't band it so it's unknown whether it was the male or the female.

Brief history:

                                                    2016

      May 10. 2016  First sighting. details on checklist:   http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S30208034

      June 07,2106 Second sighting. details on checklist:  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S30208106

    June 09, 2016 Josh Fecteau documented with 6 photos and 1 recordings, and description.  At that time it was the first ebird record.  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S30146895

    June 10, 2016 Louis B. and Margaret documented two birds.

    I went through all the checklist for 2016 and I found no record of two birds courting, mating, or defending a territory. I did not go through the checklists not in the hotspot.

     Jul. 14, 2016 Was the last ebird checklist by Bill Bunn.  From 6/09/2016 to this date one or two birds were seen and photographed by many.

                                            2017

April 26, 2017 9:40 PM.  I made a  recording of one calling  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S36307064

May 24, 20017 Nathan H. documented two birds:  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S37108592

Later that same day David A and Jaclyn J. reported  : “  Agitated and territorial towards willet pair. Insane views of both feeding in open pool and of male chasing female.

On the checklist they have a link to a video of the male chasing the female.  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S37113122

June 09, 2017 Molly J, Jim S and Katie T.    photographed the pair   copulating : http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S37495517 and http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S37497972

    Also  the same day Derek C and Hannah C photographed the pair copulating :http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38060766

The last  record for this bird was Sep. 28, 2017 I heard  one KIRA call about 8 times

        Looking forward for the family to come back next spring,

Happy birding

Andy Aldrich

North Berwick, ME.

wrenyen

Dec 12, 2017, 3:10:28 PM12/12/17
to Maine birds
So much for rails' reputation as secretive.  Thanks for this news!

Boots.

Dec 12, 2017, 4:21:58 PM12/12/17
to Maine Birds
what exciting news! thanks for posting this.

~Boots.