delivery temporarily suspended: connect to, localhost[10.11.12.13]:25:

Admin

Jul 18, 2009, 9:45:25 PM7/18/09
Hi there,

I am using fetchmail to pop3 mail from gmail. But when I receive email
I find that fetchmail is using postfix to deliver the mail to the
corresponding internal mailbox. postfix responds with the following
error and best I can tell the mail never ends up in my inbox. Looks
like localhost is considered 10.11.12.13. The error message,
/etc/hosts, and postconf -n are below.

Here is the error message:

---- snip ----

<username@localhost>: delivery temporarily suspended: connect to
localhost[10.11.12.13]:25: Connection timed out

Reporting-MTA: dns; domain.com
Arrival-Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 09:44:35 -0700 (PDT)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; username@localhost
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; delivery temporarily suspended: connect to
localhost[10.11.12.13]:25: Connection timed out
Will-Retry-Until: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:44:35 -0700 (PDT)

---- snip ----

$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
174.143.253.66 domain.com

$ host localhost
localhost has address 127.0.0.1
localhost has IPv6 address ::1

# postconf -n

:/etc/postfix# postconf -n
alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
append_dot_mydomain = no
biff = no
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
config_directory = /etc/postfix
delay_warning_time = 4h
home_mailbox = Maildir/
inet_interfaces = all
inet_protocols = all
mailbox_size_limit = 0
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain $mydomain
mydomain = domain.com
myhostname = domain.com
mynetworks = 1.1.1.1/32 127.0.0.0/8 [::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128
myorigin = domain.com
readme_directory = no
recipient_delimiter = +
relayhost =
smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
smtp_tls_security_level = may
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Ubuntu)
smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/ssl/certs/cacert.pem
smtpd_tls_auth_only = no
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/smtpd.crt
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/smtpd.key
smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
smtpd_tls_security_level = may
smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
smtpd_use_tls = yes
tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
virtual_alias_domains = <domains here>
hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

mouss

Jul 19, 2009, 5:57:02 AM7/19/09
Admin a �crit :

> Hi there,
>
> I am using fetchmail to pop3 mail from gmail. But when I receive email
> I find that fetchmail is using postfix to deliver the mail to the
> corresponding internal mailbox. postfix responds with the following
> error and best I can tell the mail never ends up in my inbox. Looks
> like localhost is considered 10.11.12.13. The error message,
> /etc/hosts, and postconf -n are below.

it looks like you are a victim of ${yourself} + ${debian package}.

- debian package enables chroot by default
- debian package disables append_dot_mydomain
- you removed localhost from mydestination
- you used localhost in fetchmail configuration

a quick fix would be to add localhost to mydestination.

but
- you should also disable chroot (edit master.cf and set the 5th field
to 'n') until you feel ready for chrooting.
- find out why you get 10.11.12.13 for localhost. if this is returned by
your ISP DNS server, then get far away from such a server.

> Here is the error message:

In general, we ignore these as well as errors showns in a mailer... etc.
we prefer _logs_.

> [snip]

Andrzej Kukuła

Jul 20, 2009, 4:32:51 AM7/20/09
On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 11:32, mouss <mo...@ml.netoyen.net> wrote:

> Admin a =E9crit :
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I am using fetchmail to pop3 mail from gmail. =A0But when I receive ema=

il
> > I find that fetchmail is using postfix to deliver the mail to the
> > corresponding internal mailbox. =A0postfix responds with the following
> > error and best I can tell the mail never ends up in my inbox. =A0Looks
> > like localhost is considered 10.11.12.13. =A0The error message,

> > /etc/hosts, and postconf -n are below.

> - find out why you get 10.11.12.13 for localhost. if this is returned by

> your ISP DNS server, then get far away from such a server.

It has something to do with GPRS. There are plenty links if you just
google for the IP.

Regards,
Andrzej

Admin

Jul 20, 2009, 5:50:59 PM7/20/09
Andrzej Kuku?a wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 11:32, mouss <mo...@ml.netoyen.net> wrote:
>> Admin a �crit :
>>> Hi there,
>>>

>>> I am using fetchmail to pop3 mail from gmail. But when I receive email
>>> I find that fetchmail is using postfix to deliver the mail to the
>>> corresponding internal mailbox. postfix responds with the following
>>> error and best I can tell the mail never ends up in my inbox. Looks
>>> like localhost is considered 10.11.12.13. The error message,

>>> /etc/hosts, and postconf -n are below.
>
>> - find out why you get 10.11.12.13 for localhost. if this is returned by
>> your ISP DNS server, then get far away from such a server.
>
> It has something to do with GPRS. There are plenty links if you just
> google for the IP.
>
> Regards,
> Andrzej

huh? general packet radio service? I dont get the connection. The
postfix server is running on a server housed in a rackspace.com colo
facility.

Cheers,
Noah

James Berwick

Jul 20, 2009, 7:58:56 PM7/20/09
Admin wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am using fetchmail to pop3 mail from gmail. But when I receive
> email I find that fetchmail is using postfix to deliver the mail to
> the corresponding internal mailbox. postfix responds with the
> following error and best I can tell the mail never ends up in my
> inbox. Looks like localhost is considered 10.11.12.13. The error
> message, /etc/hosts, and postconf -n are below.
>

> Here is the error message:
>
> ---- snip ----
>
> <username@localhost>: delivery temporarily suspended: connect to
> localhost[10.11.12.13]:25: Connection timed out
10.11.12.13 is also the IP of localhost.com. Is it possible you have no
localhost entry in /etc/hosts, causing your machine to look up
localhost.com?

Andrzej Kukuła

Jul 21, 2009, 3:00:33 PM7/21/09
--001636c5ad51fc2bb9046f3bdc21

> 10.11.12.13 is also the IP of localhost.com. Is it possible you have no
localhost entry in /etc/hosts, causing your machine to look up localhost.com
?

THANKS VERY MUCH. It's enough to have .com default domain suffix and it
explains some weirdnessess ;-)

Regards,
Andrzej

--001636c5ad51fc2bb9046f3bdc21

&gt; 10.11.12.13 is also the IP of <a href=3D"http://localhost.com" target=
=3D"_blank">localhost.com</a>. =A0Is it possible you have no localhost entr=
y in /etc/hosts, causing your machine to look up <a href=3D"http://localhos=
t.com" target=3D"_blank">localhost.com</a>?<br>

--001636c5ad51fc2bb9046f3bdc21--