SSL error: SSL error code 336151528 (a seemingly rare error/bug?)

Blake Mizerany

Mar 26, 2012, 7:09:56 PM3/26/12
While working on postgres driver in Go, I began getting these errors
in my postgres logs:
"SSL error: SSL error code 336151528"

I spoke with a postgres team member and they aren't sure exactly where
this is coming from.
A little more research on my side found someone else getting a very
similar error on OS X:
http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-...@freebsd.org/msg14704.html

Triangulation of the error points to OpenSSL right now.

Any thoughts/help would be very much appreciated.
I don't have a deep understanding of SSL so I'm not sure I'll be able
to find the root of the problem; but will keep looking.

-blake

Marek....@malkom.pl

Mar 27, 2012, 4:07:42 AM3/27/12
Hello,

$ echo "obase=16;336151528" | bc
140943E8
$ openssl errstr 140943E8
error:140943E8:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:reason(1000)

Best regards,
--
Marek Marcola <Marek....@malkom.pl>

owner-ope...@openssl.org wrote on 03/27/2012 01:09:56 AM:

> Blake Mizerany <blake.m...@gmail.com>
> Sent by: owner-ope...@openssl.org
>
> 03/27/2012 09:24 AM
>
> Please respond to
> openss...@openssl.org

> openss...@openssl.org
>
> cc
>
> Subject
>
> SSL error: SSL error code 336151528 (a seemingly rare error/bug?)

blake.m...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2012, 6:48:36 PM3/27/12
Thank you. That led us down a path to find that our client thinks the handshake is complete and the server does not. Now we're trying to learn which is correct. Is this a common bug in clients or the server?