Error 127 - gcc: Command not found

Servie Platon

Dec 4, 2004, 9:43:10 PM12/4/04
Hi openssl gurus and experts,

I am new to this list and openssl in general and I
apologize for asking a simple question.

I was trying to compile openssl from source -
openssl-0.0.7e.tar.gz which I have downloaded from the
openssl site.

Things were going on smoothly after I issued the
command # make

I got an error message:
make[1]: gcc: Command not found
make[1]: *** [cryptlib.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory
'/var/tmp/openssl-0.9.7e/crypto'
make: ***[sub_all] Error 1

What does this error mean? I made sure that the gcc
rpm or package is installed on my system but still I
am getting this error message. I even tried looking at
the error 127 at the list archive but could not find
the answer yet.

Any help on this matter would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Servie

Ringaby Anders

Dec 6, 2004, 5:08:40 AM12/6/04

Hello Servie.

Have you checked that the directory, where gcc is located,
is in your PATH environment variable?

You can check by doing either of this:

echo $PATH
or:
type gcc

In order to add the directory where gcc is located, before
running make, do this:

PATH=$PATH:<directory_where_gcc_is_located>
export PATH

Then run make again.

/ Anders

Servie Platon

Dec 6, 2004, 1:45:49 PM12/6/04
Hi Mr. Ringaby,

Thank you for the reply.

--- Ringaby Anders <and...@rsv.se> wrote:

> Hello Servie.
>
> Have you checked that the directory, where gcc is
> located,
> is in your PATH environment variable?
>
> You can check by doing either of this:
>
> echo $PATH
> or:
> type gcc
>
> In order to add the directory where gcc is located,
> before
> running make, do this:
>
> PATH=$PATH:<directory_where_gcc_is_located>
> export PATH
>
> Then run make again.
>

> / Anders

I will try out what you have suggested and let you
guys know it has resolved the issue.

Again, thank you very much for the help.

Sincerely,
Servie

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

Servie Platon

Dec 9, 2004, 5:14:27 PM12/9/04
Hello Anders,

Thanks for the help and info. You have helped me solve
my problem.

--- Ringaby Anders <and...@rsv.se> wrote:

> Hello Servie.
>
> Have you checked that the directory, where gcc is
> located,
> is in your PATH environment variable?
>
> You can check by doing either of this:
>
> echo $PATH
> or:
> type gcc

Apparently, when I made a minimal install of my FC3
test machine since it didn't have all the necessary
packages for openssl it failed to install the tar
ball. However though, I manually installed and did the
command rpm -Uvh *.rpm for all packages needed such as
gcc, cpp, cproto, etc but it did not give me any signs
that it was not installed.

So thanks to your help to check if gcc is in the path
for my environment variable. I did solve this by
manually installing the gcc rpm among others and from
here on it went on smoothly.

> In order to add the directory where gcc is located,
> before
> running make, do this:
>
> PATH=$PATH:<directory_where_gcc_is_located>
> export PATH
>
> Then run make again.
>
> / Anders

I am just puzzled if doing rpm -Uvh *.rpm is not
allowed at all by FC3? AFAIK, with Red Hat distros
7.3, 8.0 or 9.0 I could install all the rpm all
together. Not very sure, if this is a new security
feature by FC3?

http://mail.yahoo.com