SMTP error: 552 5.6.0 Headers too large (32768 max)

Julian H. Stacey

Feb 23, 2012, 2:01:13 PM2/23/12

Well spotted & said :-)

> Not only is "Al Hadith" the Islamic term for the teachings and acts of
> the Islamic prophet Muhammad, but the To: field had 388 other addresses
> in it. It's a nasty troll.

Those 388 probably explain why I just saw on a FreeBSD-6.4 host:

] fetchmail: SMTP error: 552 5.6.0 Headers too large (32768 max)
] fetchmail: mail from MAILER-DAEMON@........ bounced to owner-freeb...@freebsd.org
] fetchmail: SMTP listener refused delivery

My sympathies go to postmaster@ team who are probably already
receiving lots of bounces & noise on this.

PS Yes I realise I should upgrade that 6.4 box to 8.2
(as headers made it through the more modern SMTP of list
server), but my local tech. constraints etc delay me ).

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".

Daniel Staal

Feb 23, 2012, 3:51:44 PM2/23/12

On Thu, February 23, 2012 2:01 pm, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> Those 388 probably explain why I just saw on a FreeBSD-6.4 host:
>
> ] fetchmail: SMTP error: 552 5.6.0 Headers too large (32768 max)
> ] fetchmail: mail from MAILER-DAEMON@........ bounced to
> owner-freeb...@freebsd.org
> ] fetchmail: SMTP listener refused delivery
>
> My sympathies go to postmaster@ team who are probably already
> receiving lots of bounces & noise on this.
>
> PS Yes I realise I should upgrade that 6.4 box to 8.2
> (as headers made it through the more modern SMTP of list
> server), but my local tech. constraints etc delay me ).

Sounds like it's working as a decent spam filter to me. What setting to I
have to change to make it do that again? ;)

Daniel T. Staal

This email copyright the author. Unless otherwise noted, you
the contents for non-commercial purposes. This copyright will
local copyright law.

Da Rock

Feb 23, 2012, 5:55:08 PM2/23/12
On 02/24/12 05:01, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Arthur Chance wrote:
>> DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!
> Well spotted& said :-)
>

>> Not only is "Al Hadith" the Islamic term for the teachings and acts of
>> the Islamic prophet Muhammad, but the To: field had 388 other addresses
>> in it. It's a nasty troll.
> Those 388 probably explain why I just saw on a FreeBSD-6.4 host:
>
> ] fetchmail: SMTP error: 552 5.6.0 Headers too large (32768 max)
> ] fetchmail: mail from MAILER-DAEMON@........ bounced to owner-freeb...@freebsd.org
> ] fetchmail: SMTP listener refused delivery
>
> My sympathies go to postmaster@ team who are probably already
> receiving lots of bounces& noise on this.
>
> PS Yes I realise I should upgrade that 6.4 box to 8.2
> (as headers made it through the more modern SMTP of list
> server), but my local tech. constraints etc delay me ).
However misguided they are, they may believe strongly in this; so I'm
not sure there is a troll per se.

The evidence is that they have only targeted freebsd.org addresses, and
only the questions list. If they were trolling, why not include all the
other lists?

Arthur Chance

Feb 24, 2012, 6:08:52 AM2/24/12
On 02/23/12 22:55, Da Rock wrote:
> On 02/24/12 05:01, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
>> Arthur Chance wrote:
>>> DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!
>> Well spotted& said :-)

[snip]

> However misguided they are, they may believe strongly in this; so I'm
> not sure there is a troll per se.
>
> The evidence is that they have only targeted freebsd.org addresses, and
> only the questions list. If they were trolling, why not include all the
> other lists?

A reasonable question but the discrepancies between

> My name is Roy Mathew.

and

> From: Al Hadith <alln...@gmail.com>

seem a typical indication of a troll. The sometimes mangled English
after claiming an Anglo-Saxon name and the non sequitur final line also
suggest troll. Finally, as far as I understand it, many followers of
Islam would find the use of "Al Hadith" as an adopted name to be
provocative. Yes, the OP may be a genuine seeker after truth, but my
money's on troll.

Da Rock

Feb 24, 2012, 9:39:44 AM2/24/12
On 02/24/12 21:08, Arthur Chance wrote:
> On 02/23/12 22:55, Da Rock wrote:
>>> Well spotted& said :-)
>
> [snip]
>
>> However misguided they are, they may believe strongly in this; so I'm
>> not sure there is a troll per se.
>>
>> The evidence is that they have only targeted freebsd.org addresses, and
>> only the questions list. If they were trolling, why not include all the
>> other lists?
>
> A reasonable question but the discrepancies between
>
> > My name is Roy Mathew.
>
> and
>
> > From: Al Hadith <alln...@gmail.com>
>
> seem a typical indication of a troll. The sometimes mangled English
> after claiming an Anglo-Saxon name and the non sequitur final line
> also suggest troll. Finally, as far as I understand it, many followers
> of Islam would find the use of "Al Hadith" as an adopted name to be
> provocative. Yes, the OP may be a genuine seeker after truth, but my
> money's on troll.
Agreed. But something doesn't smell right...

The name, the address, the introduced name, the Islamic connotations;
weird. The english sounded like some english teenagers, so thats no clue.

The islamic name and the claim that the icon was offensive is the only
aspect of this email that could ring true. There is more to this than
meets the eye here, I'd say.

Seeker of truth? Doubt it... no offense to those of the islamic (or
others as well - christian specifically included) persuasion at all -
this directed at the originator of the message, but truth is a matter of
perspective. The sooner _all_ get that, the sooner life can move on and
gain stability. This is just to clarify my comment - not to start a
flame or further digression.

Leave it alone and wait and see if nothing further happens... then we'll
know whats what.