Java JDK 1.6p4 and Azureus

Daniel Engberg

Feb 23, 2008, 8:55:38 AM2/23/08

I browsed earlier archives and found someone who had similar issues.
What happens is that Azureus starts fine, adds torrents without any
errors, connects to a few peers/seeders and then idles. It doesnt fetch
any pieces or gives any errors.
I've tried the diablo packages/ports (1.5 and 1.6) without any success,
and the older patchset 3 with the same result. Does anyone know a
workaround? In case anyone is wondering I'm running the CLI/WebUI
interface(s).

Systeminfo:

FreeBSD 7.0-RC1 (AMD64)
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build
1.6.0_03-p4-root_23_feb_2008_13_12-b00)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build
1.6.0_03-p4-root_23_feb_2008_13_12-b00, mixed mode)

Thanks in advance

//Daniel

Tommy Pham

Feb 23, 2008, 7:28:57 PM2/23/08

Just an FYI if you didn't know already, FreeBSD 7.0-RC1 is from
RELENG_7_0 src branch. You might want to update it to RC2 (also from
same source branch). Don't know if it will fix your problem since I
don't use Azureus.

Regards,
Tommy

Joe Kelsey

Feb 23, 2008, 8:32:47 PM2/23/08
--- Daniel Engberg <dii...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I browsed earlier archives and found someone who had similar issues.
>> What happens is that Azureus starts fine, adds torrents without any
>> errors, connects to a few peers/seeders and then idles. It doesnt
>> fetch
>> any pieces or gives any errors.
>> I've tried the diablo packages/ports (1.5 and 1.6) without any
>> success,
>> and the older patchset 3 with the same result. Does anyone know a
>> workaround? In case anyone is wondering I'm running the CLI/WebUI
>> interface(s).

Azureus experiences the typical Java problem. I could not get anything
to happen for quite some time until I realized that the Java runtime was
spending all of its time waiting for something to happen in the IPv6
connections it was trying to open. I had to completely remove IPv6 from
the kernel. Once I did that, Azureus magically started working.

There is something major broken in the Java runtime hwich causes
everything to stop whenever you try to open an IPv6 connection. Remove
IPV6 from the kernel, and everything works. When and if you ever get
real IPv6 connections in your machine, things might actualy work. For
now, just remove it and move on.

/Joe

Nick Johnson

Feb 23, 2008, 8:56:53 PM2/23/08
You can also try adding -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true to the JVM command
line arguments.

Nick

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008, Joe Kelsey wrote:

> Azureus experiences the typical Java problem. I could not get anything to
> happen for quite some time until I realized that the Java runtime was spending
> all of its time waiting for something to happen in the IPv6 connections it was
> trying to open. I had to completely remove IPv6 from the kernel. Once I did
> that, Azureus magically started working.
>
> There is something major broken in the Java runtime hwich causes everything to
> stop whenever you try to open an IPv6 connection. Remove IPV6 from the
> kernel, and everything works. When and if you ever get real IPv6 connections
> in your machine, things might actualy work. For now, just remove it and move
> on.
>
> /Joe

"Courage isn't just a matter of not being frightened, you know. It's being
afraid and doing what you have to do anyway."
Doctor Who - Planet of the Daleks
This message has been brought to you by Nick Johnson 2.3b1 and the number 6.
http://healerNick.com/ http://morons.org/ http://spatula.net/

Joe Kelsey

Feb 23, 2008, 9:24:42 PM2/23/08
Joe Kelsey wrote:
> --- Daniel Engberg <dii...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I browsed earlier archives and found someone who had similar issues.
>>> What happens is that Azureus starts fine, adds torrents without any
>>> errors, connects to a few peers/seeders and then idles. It doesnt
>>> fetch any pieces or gives any errors.
>>> I've tried the diablo packages/ports (1.5 and 1.6) without any
>>> success, and the older patchset 3 with the same result. Does anyone
>>> know a workaround? In case anyone is wondering I'm running the
>>> CLI/WebUI interface(s).
>>>
> Azureus experiences the typical Java problem. I could not get
> anything to happen for quite some time until I realized that the Java
> runtime was spending all of its time waiting for something to happen
> in the IPv6 connections it was trying to open. I had to completely
> remove IPv6 from the kernel. Once I did that, Azureus magically
> started working.
>
> There is something major broken in the Java runtime hwich causes
> everything to stop whenever you try to open an IPv6 connection.
> Remove IPV6 from the kernel, and everything works. When and if you
> ever get real IPv6 connections in your machine, things might actualy
> work. For now, just remove it and move on.
Two different people have responded personally to me alone about
different ways to get Java to try v4 connections instead of v6
connections. This is completely irrelevant. There is still something
broken in the Java runtime which spends all of its time in v6 connection
hell unless you disable v6 in the kernel. Someone needs to figure out
why the Java runtime on FreeBSD does this. I suspect some thing in the
runtime or in the kernel v6 stuff that is broken, but I do not know
where to look.

Landon Fuller

Feb 23, 2008, 10:29:30 PM2/23/08

Daniel Engberg

Feb 24, 2008, 7:39:28 AM2/24/08

I've tried both suggestions given (recompile kernel without IPv6
support) and adding -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true without any
difference. Azureus still connects to peers/seeds without any issues but
doesnt download any pieces. Taking a stock kernel and adding IPv6
support to Java 1.6 gives this error message.

StartServer ERROR: unable to bind to 127.0.0.1:6880 for passed torrent info
StartSocket: passing startup args to already-running process.
java.net.SocketException: Invalid argument
at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:195)
at
org.gudy.azureus2.ui.common.Main$StartSocket.<init>(Main.java:370)
at org.gudy.azureus2.ui.common.Main.main(Main.java:155)

The only way to get it going is to add -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
but it still refuses to download pieces. Unfortunately I dont have
knowledge to debug the JVM but I have a feelking that more applications
might be affected.

//Daniel

Andrey Slusar

Feb 24, 2008, 9:42:29 AM2/24/08
2008/2/24, Daniel Engberg <dii...@gmail.com>:

On my RELENG_7 I386 this problem is reproduce too. In kernel ipv6 is
not found, when i'm run azureus with -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true,
azureus is not download/upload - 0% for all torrents.

--
Regards,
Andrey.

Nick Johnson

Feb 24, 2008, 11:45:15 AM2/24/08
On Sun, 24 Feb 2008, Andrey Slusar wrote:

> > I've tried both suggestions given (recompile kernel without IPv6
> > support) and adding -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true without any
> > difference. Azureus still connects to peers/seeds without any issues but
> > doesnt download any pieces. Taking a stock kernel and adding IPv6
> > support to Java 1.6 gives this error message.
>

>[snip]

> On my RELENG_7 I386 this problem is reproduce too. In kernel ipv6 is
> not found, when i'm run azureus with -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true,
> azureus is not download/upload - 0% for all torrents.

If you send a kill -3 to the running Java process while it's in this hung
state, does it give you any interesting information (to stderr) about
where the running threads are stuck?

Most of the threads you'll see in the thread dump will be either asleep or
waiting on a condition, but it would be interesting to see if any are
blocked on something networky. That might help isolate the actual call or
calls getting stuck.

In some cases a kdump to see what syscalls are being executed will help as
well. Something like ktrace -di -t ci java whatever.classname.Mainclass
and then let it run until it gets hung, ktrace -C or kill the process.
Then kdump should show you what was going on with system calls and IO
during the time it was hung.

Nick

--
"Courage isn't just a matter of not being frightened, you know. It's being
afraid and doing what you have to do anyway."
Doctor Who - Planet of the Daleks
This message has been brought to you by Nick Johnson 2.3b1 and the number 6.
http://healerNick.com/ http://morons.org/ http://spatula.net/

Nick Johnson

Feb 24, 2008, 8:14:21 PM2/24/08
This is somewhat interesting and may be worth further investigation:

"MCGroup:MCListener" daemon prio=5 tid=0x0000000810e8b000 nid=0x80f843650
runnable [0x00007ffffced1000..0x00007ffffced1940]
java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.peekData(Native Method)
- locked <0x0000000806d8d868> (a java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl)
at java.net.DatagramSocket.receive(DatagramSocket.java:662)
- locked <0x00000008073447b0> (a java.net.DatagramPacket)
- locked <0x0000000806d8d8c0> (a java.net.MulticastSocket)

I wonder if multicast is going throgh IPv6 without regard to the
preferIPv4Stack switch.

At first glance, everything else looked like normal stuff that's known to
be OK with the preferIPv4Stack switch set to "true".

Nick