campaignSubscriberActivity returning soft bounce activity?

Derek Jeter

Feb 16, 2014, 5:43:57 PM2/16/14
to mailchimp-...@googlegroups.com
From the Export API, does campaignSubscriberActivity return soft bounce activity records? From the docs, it says it does but when I pull subscriber info for one of our campaigns where we know there are soft bounces (according to the front end reports) they do not get reported here. I'm hoping to avoid having to make another API call to get the soft bounces.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

MailChimp Support

Feb 17, 2014, 10:37:37 AM2/17/14
to mailchimp-...@googlegroups.com
Hey, Derek. You're correct the soft-bounced recipients aren't included in this export, and I'm happy to pass that feedback along.
In the meantime, try this call: http://apidocs.mailchimp.com/api/2.0/reports/sent-to.php It can return all of your recipients *including* their status of soft-bounce when applicable.

-- Anna

Derek Jeter

Feb 18, 2014, 11:22:14 AM2/18/14
to mailchimp-...@googlegroups.com
Would calling http://apidocs.mailchimp.com/export/1.0/list.func.php with a status of "cleaned" return the same data as the sent-to method's "hard bounce" records? Since I'm already pulling cleaned users, I would like to avoid excessive chatter by not pulling the hard-bounces from sent-to if its not necessary (thus only pull the soft-bounces from sent-to).

Thanks!
Derek

MailChimp Support

Feb 18, 2014, 11:25:58 AM2/18/14
to mailchimp-...@googlegroups.com
The "cleaned" folks will include anyone who has hard bounced from any campaign over the history of the list, so you're correct that these would include the hard bounces from your current campaign. Definitely an option!

-- Anna

Derek Jeter

Feb 19, 2014, 8:43:31 AM2/19/14
to mailchimp-...@googlegroups.com
It is also worth noting that /export/campaignSubscriberActivity is not reporting abuse activities in addition to not reporting soft bounces. Correcting the issues with this API method would result in less API calls for clients wishing to pull full campaign activity (and thus less burden on your infrastructure). If this API method is working as designed, then the documentation should be updated to reflect its actual behavior.

MailChimp Support

Feb 20, 2014, 6:10:31 AM2/20/14
to mailchimp-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Derek,

Thanks for the additional feedback.    /export/campaignSubscriberActivity is working as designed, and if there is a specific place in the documentation you're referring to that caused confusion would you mind letting us know? We will be happy to re-evaluate it.

-Tyler

Derek Jeter

Feb 20, 2014, 6:20:51 AM2/20/14
to mailchimp-...@googlegroups.com
http://apidocs.mailchimp.com/export/1.0/campaignsubscriberactivity.func.php

"Exports/dumps all Subscriber Activity for the requested campaign."

If you click the link in the above quote, then scroll to the Activity section, you see a list of items that I would expect the API method to return. Note the usage of the word "all". Not a huge deal, but definitely confusing (at least to me).

I'm planning on using the /reports/abuse method to capture abuse data.

Thanks!

MailChimp Support

Feb 20, 2014, 6:28:40 AM2/20/14
to mailchimp-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the clarification.  The link you're referencing is from our MailChimp KB and is not API specific so I can definitely see how that would cause confusion. I will pass this along to be updated asap.

-Tyler