NET-HAPPENINGS Digest - 4 Dec 2000 - Special issue (#2000-380)

1 view

Automatic digest processor

Dec 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/4/00

Topics in this special issue:

1. K12> [EdResource] Children teaching internet Skills to Seniors by Prof.
Edna Aphek
2. PROJ> [EdResource] 7th grade project --help needed!!
3. MISC> "An Engineer's Christmas"
4. RESOUR> Free Microsoft FrontPage Technical Support
5. K12> Webquest follow-up session
6. EZINE> Native American ezine offers information from the Native
perspective
7. K12> School Administrator's Collaborative Mon 9pmE
8. K12> [ClassWeb] Digital Diplomacy Award
9. K12> Call For Collaboration: Frosty Readers 2001
10. K12> Xmas e-Postcard Project Update
11. K12> Two Educational links from the US & the UK
12. RESOUR> Tesla: Master of Lightning, PBS Special, Dec. 12

* *
* Net-happenings mailing list is a service of *
* Classroom Connect -- http://www.classroom.com *
* *
* Archives for Net-happenings can be found at: *
* http://listserv.classroom.com/archives/net-happenings.html *
* *
* Newsgroup is at: *
* news: comp.internet.net-happenings *

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: K12> [EdResource] Children teaching internet Skills to Seniors by
Prof. Edna Aphek

To: Education and Technology Listserv <edres...@egroups.com>
From: Arun-Kumar Tripathi <trip...@amadeus.statistik.uni-dortmund.de>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 01:27:30 +0100 (MET)
Subject: [EdResource] Children teaching internet Skills to Seniors by Prof.
Edna Aphek

Dear worldwide educators,
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 1996 01:25:05 +0200
From: Pr. Aphek <aph...@netvision.net.il>
[--]

Dear Arun,
Thought the following might interest you and may be the group.
Please forward at your discretion.
With best wishes
Edna
Prof. Edna Aphek,Tel-Hi Networks, 42 Hatayassim St.
Jerusalem, Israel.
David Yellin Teachers College, Jerusalem, Israel.

--
Children Tutoring Seniors at internet Skills: An Experiment
Conducted at one Israeli Elementary School.

The internet which connects about 200 million people and
millions of pages, voice , sound, image and video files has
become a most powerful tool in the hands of those who know
how to navigate it.

The opportunity to use this powerful tool exists and is open to
most strata of the population, regardless of the limitations of age,
education, etc. Though the opportunity exists what actually
happens is that the gap between internet surfers and those who
are not knowledgeable in internet skills, is ever growing.

The gap is widening between youngsters, the primary internet
user population , and adults and mostly seniors ,who are not
skilled at using a computer or the internet.

In the new Hi-Tech world, where children speak the new
language of the internet as their mother tongue, it would be most
fitting to put their mastery to good use and train them to teach
this new language to Senior Citizens, those unacquainted with
the language of the internet.

This latter age group might find much interest and relevant, useful
information via the net; they can study on-line, meet new people via the
internet, find useful information, participate in on-line interest groups,
and contribute from their experience and knowledge and most importantly
feel connected.

An experiment was conducted in one elementary school in Israel,
the Alon School in 1999, where ten Seniors were tutored by ten
children aged 11-14.

For documentation of the process as well as an evaluation of the
project, please write to:

Prof. Edna Aphek
E-mail: <aph...@netvision.net.il>
--------------
Pr. Edna Aphek
Tel-Hi Networks Ltd.
Tel - 97225633951
Fax - 97225665902

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: PROJ> [EdResource] 7th grade project --help needed!!

To: Education and Technology Listserv <edres...@egroups.com>
From: Arun-Kumar Tripathi <trip...@amadeus.statistik.uni-dortmund.de>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 01:10:30 +0100 (MET)
Subject: [EdResource] 7th grade project --help needed!!

Dear worldwide educators,

Date: Mon, 1 Jan 1996 12:36:50 +0200
From: aphekdr <aph...@netvision.net.il>
To: arun-Kumar Tripathi <trip...@amadeus.statistik.uni-dortmund.de>,
[--]

I tried to find as many different places to send this.

Subject: 7th grade project

Can I ask a favor?
Our team of 7th graders at Felten Middle School in Hays, Kansas (USA) is
focusing on the global community for the fall semester of the 2000-2001
school year. As a project, we would like to see where this e-mail ends
up. We are tracking it from August 21, 2000 until December 20, 2000. How
can you help? When you get this message, simply click on the link
below and
tell us where you are. Then send this message on to your friends and
have them
do the same. That's all. We will then plot your town on our world map.
Thanks for your help!

Mr. Braun
Miss Brungardt
Mrs. Fornelli
Mrs. Solt
7th grade team teachers at Felten Middle School, Hays, Kansas
mailto:jeb...@hays489.k12.ks.us

--------------
Pr. Edna Aphek
Tel-Hi Networks Ltd.
Tel - 97225633951
Fax - 97225665902

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: MISC> "An Engineer's Christmas"

From: "Zeuce" <wp...@newnorth.net>
Subject: Possible <comp.internet.net-happenings> submission - "An
Engineer's Christmas"
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 16:15:20 -0600

==================
An Engineer's Christmas

There are approximately two billion children (persons under 18) in the
world. However, since Santa does not visit children of Muslim, Hindu,
Jewish or Buddhist (except maybe in Japan) religions, this reduces the
workload for Christmas night to 15% of the total, or 378 million
(according to the population reference bureau). At an average
(census) rate of 3.5 children per household, that comes to 108 million
homes, presuming there is at least one good child in each.

Santa has about 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the
different time zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming east to
west (which seems logical). This works out to 967.7 visits per second.

This is to say that for each Christian household with a good child,
Santa has around 1/1000th of a second to park the sleigh, hop out,
jump down the chimney, fill the stocking, distribute the remaining
presents under the tree, eat whatever snacks have been left for him,
get back up the chimney, jump into the sleigh and get onto the next house.

Assuming that each of these 108 million stops is evenly distributed
around the earth (which, of course, we know to be false, but will
accept for the purposes of our calculations), we are now talking about
0.78 miles per household; a total trip of 75.5 million miles, not
counting bathroom stops or breaks.

This means Santa's sleigh is moving at 650 miles per second--3,000
times the speed of sound. For purposes of comparison, the fastest man
made vehicle, the Ulysses space probe, moves at a poky 27.4 miles per
second, and a conventional reindeer can run (at best) 15 miles per hour.

The payload of the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming
that each child gets nothing more than a medium sized LEGO set (two
pounds), the sleigh is carrying over 500 thousands tons, not counting
Santa himself. On land, a conventional reindeer can pull no more than
300 pounds. Even granting that the "flying" reindeer can pull 10 times
the normal amount, the job can't be done with eight or even nine of
them---Santa would need 360,000 of them. This increases the payload,
not counting the weight of the sleigh, another 54,000 tons, or roughly
seven times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth (the ship, not the monarch).

600,000 tons traveling at 650 miles per second creates enormous air
resistance--this would heat up the reindeer in the same fashion as a
spacecraft re-entering the earth's atmosphere. The lead pair of
reindeer would adsorb 14.3 quintillion joules of energy per second
each. In short, they would burst into flames almost instantaneously,
exposing the reindeer behind them and creating deafening sonic booms
in their wake.

The entire reindeer team would be vaporized within 4.26 thousandths
of a second, or right about the time Santa reached the fifth house on his trip.

Not that it matters, however, since Santa, as a result of accelerating
from a dead stop to 650 m.p.s. in .001 seconds, would be subjected to
acceleration forces of 17,000 g's. A 250 pound Santa (which seems
ludicrously slim) would be pinned to the back of the sleigh by
4,315,015 pounds of force, instantly crushing his bones and organs and
reducing him to a quivering blob of pink goo.

Therefore, if Santa did exist, he's dead now.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: RESOUR> Free Microsoft FrontPage Technical Support

Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 15:22:02 -0500
From: "Peter M. Perchansky" <pper...@dynamicnet.net>

http://www.dynamicnet.net/support/frontpage.htm

The free FrontPage Technical Support Area at Dynamic Net, Inc.'s web site
offers 100+ pages covering FrontPage Frequently Asked Questions, Active
Server Pages, Databases, How To's & Tips, Problem Solving, and much
more. The site is updated on a regular basis as new FrontPage information,
software, and tips become available.

The webmaster for the site, Peter Perchansky, is a Microsoft Most Valuable
Professional (since 8/14/96) for the FrontPage Product. The MVP
designation is given by Microsoft Corporation to those individuals who
constantly show their expertise in a Microsoft product by actively helping
others in the Microsoft Public News Groups.
Peter M. Perchansky, Microsoft FrontPage MVP
Dynamic Net, Inc.
Helping companies do business on the Net
109 East High Street
PO Box 86
Womelsdorf, PA 19567
Voice: 1-610-589-2262
Personal Email: pper...@dynamicnet.net
Company Email: solu...@dynamicnet.net
Web: http://www.dynamicnet.net/
http://www.wemanageservers.com/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: K12> Webquest follow-up session

Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 14:55:07 -0500
From: Michael Hutchison <mhu...@CHARTER.NET>
Subject: Webquest follow-up session
To: INDIANA-...@LISTSERV.CLASSROOM.COM

Last week's Social Studies forum session on webquests was so well
attended, we've decided to follow up with a second session, this time
focusing on specific webquest examples, especially for social studies.

Time for this session will be 8 p.m. Eastern (5 p.m. Pacific) Wednesday
(December 6) in TAPPED IN (http://www.tappedin.org). Newcomers to the
TAPPED IN interface might log in a few minutes early in order to learn
navigation. TAPPED IN help desk personnel will also be available to
assist new users.

Please feel free to e-mail me offlist with questions or for more
information regarding the forum or this important session.

Sincerely,

Michael Hutchison

--
Michael Hutchison
social studies teacher, Lincoln High School

Meet other Indiana teachers at <http://www.connectedteacher.com/messageboard>!

The Indiana-Educators list is brought to you by Classroom Connect
<www.classroom.com>, your place for Internet-based curriculum and
professional development for K-12 education.

Tell your friends about the Indiana-Educators list!

To subscribe or unsubscribe from our mailing list, please visit:
<http://connectedteacher.com/listServ/subscribe.asp>

To read the online archives for this list, visit:
http://listserv.classroom.com/archives/indiana-educators.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: EZINE> Native American ezine offers information from the Native
perspective

Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 21:35:36 -0500
From: EDTECH Editor-Beil <edad...@mail.h-net.msu.edu>
Subject: Native American ezine offers information from the
Native perspective
To: EDT...@H-NET.MSU.EDU

From: Terri Jean <tuqb...@bright.net>

Osiyo (Greetings). My name is Terri Jean and I am of the
Cherokee/Shawnee and Powhatan people. I am a historical activist and
writer of American Indian work and I would like to invite you to learn
more about my people, our issues and our history.

I publish an on-line column called 'The Native Truth' and various issues
are reported. Topics range from current events (tribal rights, appeals,
protests) and bio's of beloved leaders and hero's to historical events
such as Thanksgiving, Wounded Knee, Trail of Tears, etc.

Future editions will include topics including:

* Good books/Bad books pertaining to the Native people
* Mascots and logos with 'Indian' images
* Stereotyping in the classroom
* The case against Christopher Columbus
* Current legal updates
* And more..

Subscriptions are free and the column is published several times a
month. All work can be republished if the author and ecolumn are given
full credit. Children are welcome to submit questions and we will try
our hardest to respond. And in 2001 we will be conducting a national
survey regarding knowledge of Native American history and feelings
towards issues and events - and your children and students are welcome
to participate.

If you are interested you only need to send a blank email to
native_trut...@egroups.com

Our goal is to retell history from the Native Americans perspective. I
hope you will join us in our 're-edication'.

Osda (Farewell),

Terri Jean
Historical Activist
Currently writing "White Lies.. Red America"

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"The ground on which we stand is sacred ground. It is the blood of our
ancestors." - From Chief Plenty Coups, Crow

EDTECH has changed addresses. The new list address is
EDT...@H-NET.MSU.EDU. All subscription commands should be sent to
LIST...@H-NET.MSU.EDU.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: K12> School Administrator's Collaborative Mon 9pmE

Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 18:40:47 -0500
From: Kathleen Carpenter <kath...@TEACHERS.NET>
To: K12A...@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU

I like reminders so here's one for people like me:

School Administrators' Collaborative will meet on Monday, Dec. 4 at 9pm
in the Teachers.Net Meeting Room http://teachers.net/meetings for one
hour. Topic: Maintaining and Improving Staff Morale. Bring your ideas,
experiences to share with colleagues.

The monthly SAC meetings are open to any interested school
administrators, so please invite colleagues. I'd be happy to schedule
the SAC meetings at another time of day if that works better for the
majority. Just drop a note directly to me with your suggestion.
kath...@teachers.net. I'm also interested in the topics you would like
on the agenda.

Kathleen Carpenter
Director of Promotions
Teachers.Net

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: K12> [ClassWeb] Digital Diplomacy Award

To: clas...@egroups.com
From: CBRO...@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 16:09:14 EST
Subject: [ClassWeb] Digital Diplomacy Award

Hi all,
A while ago I posted information about a website that was created by
three students for the Thinkquest program addressing the problem of world
hunger. It is called 'An End to World Hunger: Hope for the Future' and can
be found at:

http://library.advanced.org/C002291.

Some of you visited the site and left comments. I am very proud to announce
that this site was recently named The Digital Diplomacy Award winner by the
US Department of State. The students are from England, Hong Kong and US and
I acted as one of the coaches on the project. The students each receive a
$2,000 scholarship and $500 for their school. The site will be linked to the
State Dept. site in the future and our team will meet in Washington for an
awards ceremony on Jan. 8th. The project was created in conjunction with the
ThinkQuest program where they made it to the Honorable Mention level.
(www.thinkquest.org)

I see the creation of websites such as these as another way that students can
utilize technology to provide a service to the public by informing people
about pertinent human issues. It was also a tremendous learning experience
for the entire team, students and coaches, on the topic of World Hunger.

Thanks to all of you who took time to look at the site. I just wanted to
share our news with you.

Cathy Bronsdon

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: K12> Call For Collaboration: Frosty Readers 2001

Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 10:57:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Susan and Pattie <frostyre...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Call For Collaboration: Frosty Readers 2001

Back by popular demand, Frosty Readers is in its
second year. This time, Pattie Knox and Susan
Silverman are working together to coordinate Frosty
Readers 2001.

Participating classes will read books about winter.
These books can be fact or fiction. Students will
engage in a language arts activity that will be
showcased on a web site. Classes are invited to
electronically submit a maxium of six illustrations
per class. Students may work individually, in small
groups or as a class.

Visit the web site to find out more information and
how to join!
Happy Winter
Susan and Pattie
Frosty Readers 2001
http://viking.stark.k12.oh.us/~ptk1nc/frosty2001/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: K12> Xmas e-Postcard Project Update

Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 10:08:05 -0700
From: Alan Hodson <aaho...@episd.org>

Greetings from El Paso, TX

The site for the Christmas Postcard Project, a fun way to send friends and
relatives a picture of your school, is now fully operational. Click on

http://itc.elpaso.k12.tx.us

for information and samples. Links to "HOW TOs" are listed, including how
to deal with the graphics and how to find your latitude and longitude.

Hope to see your school's picture soon.
Alan A Hodson
Campus Technology Coordinator
Bowie HS - El Paso ISD
mailto:aaho...@episd.org

ps. Friends from the southern hemisphere are invited to join in - we
promise to think "summer" during this coming holiday - perhaps a "1000 word
description" will help us get in the mood...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: K12> Two Educational links from the US & the UK

From: "Amnon Till" <amn...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Two Educational links from the US & the UK

Two Educational links from the US & the UK

UK link
http://english.sxu.edu/~criticaltools/classes/bonadonna/esc_fall_1999/addlink/links/

US link
http://www.lalc.k12.ca.us/subjectindex/educationandlearning.html

I got these two URLs from Prof. Shafee Give'on from Tel Aviv University &
Beit Berl College, Israel.

Bye
Amnon
amn...@hotmail.com
http://sites.netscape.net/amnontl/amnontl1

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 07:00:00 -0600
From: Gleason Sackmann <gsac...@classroom.com>
Subject: RESOUR> Tesla: Master of Lightning, PBS Special, Dec. 12

Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 23:54:50 -0500
From: Ken Reigner <cbsm...@earthlink.net>

http://www.pbs.org/tesla
http://www.pbs.org/tesla/prodo/po_prsrel.html

Tesla: Master of Lightning

FIRST COMPREHENSIVE LOOK AT THE LIFE, WORK AND LEGACY OF ECCENTRIC GENIUS

Stacy Keach is the voice of Nikola Tesla

PBS documentary airs Tuesdsay, December 12, 2000

Washington, D.C.- Nikola Tesla was one of the greatest inventors of the
20th century, with over 700 worldwide patents to his name. He was a
visionary genius whose radical ideas created the technology that connects
the world with power and information. One of history's most controversial
and misunderstood people, his incredible story is finally being brought to
the screen.

Nikola Tesla (1856-1943), a Serbian immigrant to America, has become a cult
hero. He is known and respected in scientific and engineering circles, but
he also appeals to a youthful and general audience with no formal
background in science. In addition to his work, his life is filled with
intense personal drama, triumph and tragedy.

Tesla's most famous invention is his system of AC power generation and
transmission that is used universally today. He also invented the tesla
coil to create high-frequency electricity. This led to the creation of neon
and fluorescent lighting, radio transmission, remote control, and hundreds
of other devices that are now an essential part of our everyday lives. The
documentary finally sets the record straight on Tesla's inventions and
accomplishments. Edison and Marconi are frequently credited for the
invention of AC power transmission and radio. The program demonstrates that
this is not the case.

TESLA, Master of Lightning, is a multi-media project that tells the
comprehensive story of the life and work of Nikola Tesla for the very fist
time. The program combines dramatizations with rare footage and photographs
to weave a story filled with science, drama, and mystery. Included are many
new and unknown details of of Tesla's life, including the influence he had
on the Strategic Defense Initiative missile defense program. A great deal
of the story is told in Tesla's own words, drawn from his autobiographical
and scientific writings, and performed by Stacy Keach.

Mr. Keach has long had a personal interest in Tesla's work. Says Keach,
"Without Nikola Tesla, the world, as we know it today, would not exist.
Unlike Thomas Edison, who invented Direct Current (DC), Tesla was the man
responsible for giving us Alternating Current (AC), which gives us electric
power over long distances. Radio, television, and the world of wireless
electronic transmission, are all direct results of Tesla's vision. Yes, he
was also an eccentric, a germophobic, and something of a
megalomaniac---human qualities which make a profile of his life all the
more fascinating....for many years I entertained the notion of trying to
mount a one-man show about his life. I am truly honored and thrilled to be
a part of this exciting documentary."

Eight years in the making, the project includes the PBS documentary
special; the companion book written by Margaret Cheney and Robert Uth,
published by Barnes & Noble; and an extensive educational website at
www.pbs.org. The documentary and the book contain an extremely rare
collection of photographs documenting Tesla's life and inventions. These
photos are like lost pages of electrical history and an important resource
for scholars. The website will contain other rare Tesla information,
including correspondence, scientific papers and articles.

Today there is considerable and growing interest in Tesla, but most of the
available information has been highly speculative, not based on the
historical documentary evidence. Dr. David Goodstein, professor of physics
at the California Institute of Technology, calls the program "gripping,
informative and technically accurate".

This is not a dry story about circuits and capacitors. Tesla's life is an
inspiring example of the power of one man to battle against the odds and
change the world with his revolutionary ideas. TESLA, Master of Lightning
will give long overdue recognition to a great and misunderstood man of science.

TESLA, Master of Lightning, premieres nationally on PBS on Tuesday,
December 12, 2000, at 10:00 pm (check local listings). It is a production
of New Voyage Communications, Inc., Washington, D.C. Producer/Director:
Robert Uth. Written by: Robert Uth and Phylis Geller. Executive Producer:
Phylis Geller. Senior Science Adviser: Leland I. Anderson. Funding is
provided by PBS.

Ken Reigner mailto:cbsm...@earthlink.net
Vice President List Owner, WIW-L and WIW-JOBS
Chairman, Technology Committee wiw-l-...@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu
Washington Independent Writers wiw-jobs...@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu

->For a free WIW-L subscription, send "subscribe WIW-L Your Name" in
the *body* of an e-mail message to <list...@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu>.

End of NET-HAPPENINGS Digest - 4 Dec 2000 - Special issue (#2000-380)