Greetings, Trent, here's my post about my project for all members to read

Bob Handler

Dec 24, 2014, 7:14:32 PM12/24/14
to maglab...@googlegroups.com

At the Tuesday evening meeting, I was asked to post a description of the project I hope to work on in the months of January and February.

It’s called Vortr !X. The word is created from matrix and vortex. I see it as a game synergy of art and athletics. The tire matrix is art—no, not the Pieta, but meant to inspire in some way, to evoke a response of some type. The player traverses the matrix and becomes part of the art that they are creating and may get a workout in the process. The current game consists of 16 tires spaced about 2.5 to 3.0 feet apart in a 4x4 matrix. Players will challenge themselves to draw letters and/or numbers in or on or around the tires in the player space. I’m working on an app that offers these choices and additionally at this point a random number generator to produce a path of 16 numbers.

A player will have a variety of choices. First, how are they seeing the matrix? As numbers, letters or colors. Then, what will the path be through the matrix? For example, suppose the player uses the random number generator and the first numbers of path are 1, 2, 3, consecutive numbers. The player can choose staying on ground between the tires, hopping from tire to tire or doing both. Using the space will give me the opportunity to actually experience this, work out some details and in the process discover whether this is viable or worth doing.

Generally, Trent, Brandon and Ben, who were at the meeting, said it sounds interesting. That said, they brought concerns to my attention.  Most pressing, of course, storage for the tires. Several ideas were put forth. Although at one point, storing them outside the space was suggested, that ultimately was not considered a good solution. Then, it was thought that a space inside could be found but that may not be agreeable to the other members. Typically, a person joins at the general rate, given the unusual storage requirements, becoming a key member at the higher membership rate may be a recommended.

I plan to film the evolution of the project and edit this into clips that can used on some type of website to create interest, community and find volunteers.  There were some concerns regarding these volunteers. Activities of volunteers will be strictly controlled. At this point the sole purpose of visitors is to receive their feedback and hear suggestions. Additionally, these activities could be publicity for the space and bring interest and possibly new members.

I’m fine with some other restrictions. Schedulewise, I’m OK with avoiding regular 9-5 weekdays. I would probably work from 5pm. The night is well lit here.

Also I was intending to have music. Mostly movie soundtracks and individual requests. As yet I don’t have a big sound system or any sound system.

Down the road, I would like to replace the tires with tire-strength clear rings outfitted with networked sensors that when pressed turn lights on or off.

I hope this gives everyone a fair introduction to my project. If Brandon, Trent, or Ben notice anything that I needs to be added, please comment. Also, any other members, if you have comments or questions, please comment  or question.

Thanks,

Bob

Trenton Wilson

Dec 28, 2014, 12:24:13 PM12/28/14
to maglaboratory
Thank you for posting this Bob!  It looks like you covered most everything we discussed at the meeting.

Some clarification for other readers:  Due to the space requirements (while active and not), the possibility of guests, accessibility required, and the unique concept of the project, it was thought that a keyed membership would be required for the project to be conducted in addition to support (yea/nay) from the active membership as well as an ok for Bob to be granted a keyed membership for the two months that he plans on running the beta tests of his project.

It would be great if we could get some opinions on the matter so as to have a decision on allowing the storage of 16 car tires and keyed membership for Bob.

-Trent

John Cunningham

Dec 28, 2014, 5:07:34 PM12/28/14
to MAGLab

I know I haven't been around much, and I hate to be negative about someone's project. But for the present my vote is against it. Our big issue right now is space and how to conserve it. Maybe after we've finished purging and arranging the space to make it usable we could figure out a way to stack the tires so the footprint is minimal. But for now I don't think it's the right time to commit to storing that much.

Brandin Watson

Dec 28, 2014, 7:34:52 PM12/28/14
to MAG Lab
Bob has a good idea and would be cool guy to have around the space.

Richard

Jan 2, 2015, 9:08:44 PM1/2/15
to maglab...@googlegroups.com
Bob,

I have 4 passenger car tires that I can bring to the space that you can have.  If you're interested in a pair of motorcycle tires you can have those too.

Richard.

Bob Handler

Jan 2, 2015, 9:15:41 PM1/2/15
to maglab...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Richard, the 4 passsenger car tires will help. I want to keep the tire size fairly uniform, so, no on the motorcycle tires.

Bob