Anthropology Project

Sarah Nichols

Oct 18, 2016, 12:42:58 AM10/18/16
to MAG Lab
Hello,

My name is Sarah, and I'm an engineering undergrad at Harvey Mudd College. For my anthropology class this semester, I'm doing a project studying makerspaces. I'm interested in makerspace culture (norms, shared values, etc), and the significance of makerspaces to their members -- what people feel like they get out of being part of a makerspace.

As part of the fieldwork for my project, I would like to observe and participate in some MAG Lab events, and interview some members of MAG Lab. I will not be publishing any of my observations or findings beyond my class (my professor will be reading my fieldnotes and final paper, and I'll be giving an oral presentation to my class at the end of this semester). As part of participating in the makerspace, my roommate and I are going to be working on building a half-finished Segway project that was left in our engineering department.

I'll be at the business meeting tomorrow to introduce myself and explain more about the project. If you don't want to be observed or have have any other concerns about the project, let me know (either by email, or at/after the meeting). Also, if you're up for being interviewed, let me know and we can set up a time.

I look forward to meeting you all during the next couple months!

-Sarah

Jacob Christ

Oct 18, 2016, 12:53:26 PM10/18/16
to maglab...@googlegroups.com

BYOB

Sarah Nichols

Oct 20, 2016, 4:32:01 AM10/20/16
to MAG Lab
Is anyone interested and available to be interviewed sometime this weekend? I'm free anytime Saturday and most of Sunday, if there's any time you're free and the makerspace is open. I expect the interviews to be 30-45 minutes each. If anyone can do it this weekend, that would be really helpful!

Sarah Nichols

Oct 30, 2016, 6:28:02 PM10/30/16
to MAG Lab
Is anyone up for being interviewed later today, or Wednesday or Thursday evening this week? The interview shouldn't take more than half an hour, and I can meet you at the makerspace. Thanks!
-Sarah

Jacob Christ

Oct 30, 2016, 8:43:37 PM10/30/16
to maglab...@googlegroups.com

If you get no takers I can help you out.  Can we do it over the phone? I don't plan on being there this week.

Jacob

Sarah Nichols

Nov 1, 2016, 5:16:06 PM11/1/16
to MAG Lab, ja...@pontech.com
Thanks for the offer! I would rather do an in-person interview if possible, so that I can record and transcribe it (and because I have a consent form you would need to sign). We could meet somewhere else if that would be more convenient, or we could do it next week. The consent form is attached, in case you would like to read it over ahead of time.
Consent Form.docx

Sarah Nichols

Nov 16, 2016, 1:17:55 AM11/16/16
to MAG Lab
Anyone available for an interview this week/weekend? Same deal as the others, 20-30 minutes at MAG Lab.