Window Server 2012

andrewthai94

Jan 12, 2017, 5:27:15 PM1/12/17
to MAG Lab
The computer in the electronics room needs a 64-bit windows OS, and I have a windows server 2012 os available for use. I was wondering if we could use windows server 2012, based on windows 8, for solidworks or fusion 360? If so, then we can start using the huge desktop tower in the electronics room.

Jacob Christ

Jan 12, 2017, 6:16:33 PM1/12/17
to maglab...@googlegroups.com
I think its very important that we have a version of Windows for people with special needs and require assistive technology.  We want to be very inclusive.  The good news is you can still get Win10 upgrades for assistive technology at no cost.

Jacob Christ
ProLinear/PONTECH, Inc.
+1 (909) 652-0670 Phone
http://www.pontech.com

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 2:27 PM, andrewthai94 <andrew...@gmail.com> wrote:
The computer in the electronics room needs a 64-bit windows OS, and I have a windows server 2012 os available for use. I was wondering if we could use windows server 2012, based on windows 8, for solidworks or fusion 360? If so, then we can start using the huge desktop tower in the electronics room.

andrewthai94

Jan 13, 2017, 12:44:36 AM1/13/17
to MAG Lab
If you read the bottom text, the upgrade is only available for Windows 7 and 8.1 devices with some variations excluded. This would mean Maglab would have to purchase a in 7 / 8.1 disk, which are in the magnitude of hundreds from dealers like Amazon.

I am told that the current OS on the tower is 32-bit Windows Vista.

The Windows 2012 Server OS I have would be donated at no cost.

* 3GB+ download required; internet access fees may apply. Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own. Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by region and device. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. To check for compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer’s website and the Windows 10 Specifications page. Windows 10 is automatically updated. Additional requirements may apply over time for updates.