Refractory cement mixing

Richard

Jan 8, 2015, 6:47:38 PM1/8/15
to maglab...@googlegroups.com
Jeff and peoples who were interested,

I'm planning on picking up the ingredients from Brandel Masonry and creating the molds for the forge doors this friday. Stop by if you wanna check it out. I might mix and pour if time permits.

Richard.

Jacob Christ

Jan 9, 2015, 11:20:05 AM1/9/15
to maglab...@googlegroups.com
What time range and what are the doors for?

Richard.

Jacob Christ
ProLinear/PONTECH, Inc.
1-877-985-9286 Phone
1-413-235-1651 Fax
http://www.pontech.com

Richard

Jan 9, 2015, 8:27:58 PM1/9/15
to maglab...@googlegroups.com
I'm currently at the space (5:30pm) and will be here until about 10pm.  The "doors" aren't really doors, but insulating blocks that keep the heat in to increase the internal temperature of the forge.  The previous ones were made of firebrick, but broke, so I am going to make some new ones.

Richard.

Jacob Christ

Jan 9, 2015, 9:55:38 PM1/9/15
to maglab...@googlegroups.com

Too late,  I am already home.  Good luck.

Richard

Jan 11, 2015, 11:07:14 PM1/11/15
to maglab...@googlegroups.com
Turns out I didn't have the wood needed to make the molds. Additionally, another one of our members, Brian, brought a tub of refractory cement to patch up the broken firebrick pieces.

I still plan to make new pieces, but will probably start on it next week instead. I'm also planning on pouring the cement for my metal-melting furnace sometime this month as well.

Richard.

Ben

Jan 13, 2015, 4:02:54 AM1/13/15
to maglab...@googlegroups.com
You're making a foundry? How large? I've been wanting to make one but haven't even reached the planning stage yet.

Richard

Jan 13, 2015, 1:34:29 PM1/13/15
to maglab...@googlegroups.com
The shell diameter is 14 inches and the height is about 2.5 to 3 feet. I'll be making one that fits a crucible made of steel pipe with a maximum of 10 inch diameter and 12 inch height.

This will be the first of two foundries I plan to make before summer. So its somewhat a proof of concept for me to gain insight on designs for the second one. Youre welcome to take part in it. I'll be at the Tuesday and
Friday meetings.

Richard.

Ben

Jan 14, 2015, 9:03:53 AM1/14/15
to maglab...@googlegroups.com
Charcoal? Methane? Propane?

Let me know if you need a hand with anything.

Richard

Jan 14, 2015, 11:49:40 AM1/14/15
to maglab...@googlegroups.com
Propane, but also considering a natural gas burner design as well. Its mainly for aluminum. Copper based alloys like brass and bronze are maybes if the refractory can handle the extra temp.

My main source of information on this stuff is AlloyAvenue.com, but if you have any other sources of info I'd be have to know too.

Richard.

John Arclight

Jan 15, 2015, 12:37:02 AM1/15/15
to maglab...@googlegroups.com
FYI, a "Sonotube" concrete form from Home Depot makes it easy to ram up the the inside. Don't forget a drain hole if you break/spring a leak in your crucible.

Also, y'all might want to pay a visit to Independent Foundry Supply in Commerce some time. That's where 23b got their crucibles.

http://www.foundry-supplies.com/

Their store looks like it hasn't changed in about 100 years!

Arclight

Richard

Jan 15, 2015, 4:56:21 AM1/15/15
to maglab...@googlegroups.com
Wow cool thanks!

Yea, I was thinking about using the concrete form for the hollow cavity.  So I'd be ramming the cement around the outside of the form rather than the inside.

As for the drain hole, I'll definitely incorporate that into the design.  I've heard stories and seen Youtube videos of the trouble with furnaces without drain holes.

I'll definitely give Independent Foundry Supply a visit.  Looks like I might be able to get actual castable refractory for the second furnace from them as well.

Richard.