can't commit

sean smith

Apr 15, 2014, 6:47:17 AM4/15/14
to ma...@googlegroups.com
I am having problems committing using c c from the magit-status window. I am on OSX running Emacs.app (Emacs version is 24.3). I have just updated magit using elpa and below is the output of M-x describe-package magit:

magit is an installed package.

When I updated magit just now, the error message in *magit-process* changed to this:
/usr/bin/git --no-pager -c core.preloadindex=true commit --

I am pretty sure I just missed something simple, but the stuff I have read through about commit issues was kind of hard to follow.

Noam Postavsky

Apr 15, 2014, 10:02:20 AM4/15/14
to sean smith, Magit Maling list
Is your git version older than 1.7.2.5?
https://github.com/magit/magit/issues/709

sean smith

Apr 15, 2014, 10:23:49 AM4/15/14
to ma...@googlegroups.com, sean smith
git version 1.8.5.2 (Apple Git-48)

Noam Postavsky

Apr 15, 2014, 11:06:09 AM4/15/14
to Sean Smith, Magit Maling list
Oops, I did reply instead of reply-all. I'm not sure why this is
failing for you, but perhaps after seeing the error message someone
else will have an idea.

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Sean Smith <impr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ah sorry, there was something helpful there!
>
> Waiting for Emacs…
> -emacs-pid 23573
> -error Unknown&_command:&_/Users/me/my/folder/.git/COMMIT_EDITMSG
> Aborting commit due to empty commit message.
>
> so it does sound similar, but I’m not clear on when/how a commit message
> would’ve been added. I am in magit-status and I have a staged change. I
> press c and get a mini buffer prompting me to press c to commit a to amend,
> etc. Am I just doing something wrong here?
>
> On April 15, 2014 at 5:42:09 PM, Sean Smith (impr...@gmail.com) wrote:
>
> that doesn’t sound similar to my issue (unless I missed something). In my
> case, no window pops, nothing happens besides the message about the error
> message in *magit-proces*. Also, refreshing magit-status shows the same
> staged items.
>
> On April 15, 2014 at 5:33:37 PM, Noam Postavsky (npos...@gmail.com) wrote:
>
> See https://github.com/magit/magit/issues/1330#issuecomment-39977945

sean smith

Sean Smith

Apr 15, 2014, 11:21:27 AM4/15/14
to Perry Smith, ma...@googlegroups.com
Right, I also forgot to mention that part.  I am using what emacs defaulted to - /usr/bin/emacsclient - which, I guess is the old one you refer to.  I did see a note in one of the bug reports about switching it to /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacsclient but that doesn’t exist in my emacs.app install.  There’s no bin directory and the only thing in /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/ is Emacs.  After a long time on terminal emacs, I am using this http://emacsformacosx.com/

On April 15, 2014 at 6:13:16 PM, Perry Smith (ped...@gmail.com) wrote:

Are you finding emacsclient in your path? magit tries to figure out where to find it. I'm not sure what the message is if it can not be found. The other angst is I think there is an old emacsclient somewhere on OSX that you don't want to get. You want the one associated with the emacs that you are running.

Sean Smith

Apr 15, 2014, 1:17:28 PM4/15/14
to Perry Smith, ma...@googlegroups.com
ok, I screwed up.  I was unaware that I was still running the Homebrew version (which has the emacsclient located in /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.3/bin/) on this laptop even though I had downloaded the other one.  After installing emacsformacosx and reopening, I had to customize-option as it was still set to /usr/bin/emacsclient.  But now it works!  Thanks

On April 15, 2014 at 6:31:47 PM, Perry Smith (ped...@gmail.com) wrote:

I might have misunderstood.  I just downloaded it and looked inside the package.  I find it at Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacsclient