Summary Window?

Tim Visher

Jun 2, 2016, 7:09:28 AM6/2/16
to ma...@googlegroups.com
A very useful feature of using git from the command line is that when you pull from remotes you get a nice summary of everything that's changed since you last pulled.

In Magit I just get a confirmation that it was successful.

I know that I can open up the process window and interact with the history there, and that's also great, but what I really want is a popup or something that displays the contents of the last command if it was interesting, like the output of `git remote update` tends to be.

Does this already exist?

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://five.sentenc.es/ -- Spend less time on mail

Kyle Meyer

Jun 2, 2016, 10:09:45 PM6/2/16
to Tim Visher, ma...@googlegroups.com
Tim Visher <tim.v...@gmail.com> writes:

> A very useful feature of using git from the command line is that when you
> pull from remotes you get a nice summary of everything that's changed since
> you last pulled.
>
> In Magit I just get a confirmation that it was successful.
>
> I know that I can open up the process window and interact with the history
> there, and that's also great, but what I really want is a popup or
> something that displays the contents of the last command if it was
> interesting, like the output of `git remote update` tends to be.
>
> Does this already exist?

No, I don't think so. However, you should be able to get something
similar by setting magit-process-popup-time. For example, here's how
you could make the process buffer pop up and show the output on every
fetch:

(advice-add 'magit-git-fetch
:around
(lambda (fn &rest args)
(let ((magit-process-popup-time 0))
(apply fn args)))
'((name . "magit-fetch-process")))

You could do something similar for magit-git-pull if you tend to pull
rather than fetch.

--
Kyle