Emacsclient problem

Julien Cubizolles

May 10, 2015, 6:18:47 PM5/10/15
to ma...@googlegroups.com
Since a few days ago, I can't commit through magit.

c-c gives the following error message in *magit-process*

1 git --no-pager -c core.preloadindex=true commit --
Waiting for Emacs...
*ERROR*: Wrong type argument: listp, <<<<<<<
error: There was a problem with the editor '/usr/bin/emacsclient --socket-name=/tmp/emacs1000/server'.
Veuillez fournir le message en utilisant l'option -m ou -F.

C puts me in a buffer editing the commit message but after validation,
the commit doesn't appear in the status buffer.

In both cases, files are created in the .git dir: COMMIT_EDITMSG,
COMMIT_EDITMSG~ and #COMMIT_EDITMSG#.

The last line translates to: "Please provide this message using options
-m or -F" but I'm confused : are these options for magit or
emacsclient ? I couldn't find them in the help screen or the man page
though.

I've been running magit without any problems for more than a year. I can
still commit though cli git in this repo.

Thanks for your help.

Julien.

Jonas Bernoulli

May 15, 2015, 9:02:30 AM5/15/15
to Julien Cubizolles, ma...@googlegroups.com
> *ERROR*: Wrong type argument: listp, <<<<<<<

This is a conflict marker. Someone accidentally failed to resolve
a conflict and committed the merge with such markers still present.

This doesn't have to be in code related to Magit, it might be in
any code that, for whatever reason, gets loaded when using the
emacsclient and/or loading a Magit library.

Search (rgrep) all directories that contain elisp code and fix the
issue.

Julien Cubizolles

May 25, 2015, 12:33:23 PM5/25/15
to ma...@googlegroups.com
I finally found the problem, in the .saved-places file...