ediff but shows file disappear

chm...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2014, 3:24:56 PM8/22/14
to ma...@googlegroups.com
For latest magit 8/16 version, I found one interesting thing on unstaged files.

Sometimes when I click E for ediff, the corresponding file is disappeared and shows "no diff at this location" in mode-line. And the point goes to the end.

Before the ediff windows would popup and shows no diff there. Not sure if this is new feature.

Jonas Bernoulli

Aug 25, 2014, 1:42:51 PM8/25/14
to chm...@gmail.com, ma...@googlegroups.com
> Sometimes when I click E for ediff, the corresponding file is
> disappeared and shows "no diff at this location" in mode-line.
> And the point goes to the end.

Are you saying that the text representing the file you act on disappears
from the status buffer? That shouldn't happen as far as I know. That
point goes to the end (of the buffer?) is a bit unfortunate but
acceptable.

Anyway, "No diff at this location" just means that magit doesn't know
how to use ediff to show information about the file/diff at point. This
could be because there simply isn't anything that could be shown, or
there theoretically is something that could be shown but the code is to
stupid to figure it out.

I consider the ediff support on magit's master branch (what you get from
melpa) to be broken and on the next branch I have replaced it with a
completely new implementation. I am not going to backport that to
master or improve the master implementation, you will have to wait until
I merge next into master, or use the next branch (see
https://github.com/magit/magit/issues/1220).

chm...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2014, 12:55:52 AM8/29/14
to ma...@googlegroups.com
Check the installation on magit next branch. Looks like it depends on git next branch. Then what timeline for magit next release? does that mean it would not be there until git next branch is used widely?

Rémi Vanicat

Aug 29, 2014, 6:30:44 AM8/29/14
chm...@gmail.com writes:

> Check the installation on magit next branch. Looks like it depends on
> git next branch. Then what timeline for magit next release? does that
> mean it would not be there until git next branch is used widely?

Magit next branch doesn't depend on git next branch, it use git 1.7.2.5
or newer. If a feature depend on git next branch, it's probably a
bug. Could you tell us what make you believe that, so we can correct it?

By the way it depend on git-modes next branch, but git-modes is not git,
but a project of the ``magit group'' (https://github.com/magit/git-modes)

--
Rémi Vanicat