How to avoid left over temp indexes

Michael Heerdegen

Feb 8, 2016, 9:40:14 AM2/8/16
to ma...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

for something I develop, I need a temporary index file - just like
`magit-with-temp-index'. My version looks like this:

(defmacro helm-backup-save-index (&rest body)
;; Modeled after `magit-with-temp-index'
(declare (debug t))
(macroexp-let2 nil
temp-index-file
'(expand-file-name (make-temp-name "index.helm-backup"))
`(unwind-protect
(let ((process-environment process-environment))
(setenv "GIT_INDEX_FILE" ,temp-index-file)
,@body)
(when (file-exists-p ,temp-index-file)
(delete-file ,temp-index-file)))))

This works, but in some cases (say 10% of the calls), the temporary
file survives and is not deleted; but there is no error and the code
terminates normally: delete-file is called and succeeds.

I know that `magit-with-temp-index' had the same problem in the past,
but the problem disappeared some while ago.

Is there some trick, or some git setting, to handle this problem?
Does anybody know how Magit got rid of this problem?

Thanks,

Michael.