magit doesn't prompt for ssl passphrase, and fails to push. Using Windows 7.

Erik van Zwol

Nov 4, 2016, 5:47:05 PM11/4/16
to magit
git push works fine from the windows command line and from git-bash, but doesn't work from magit.

When on the command line, I get a prompt for my passphrase. But when I try to push from magit, I get the following:

128 C:/Program Files/Git/mingw64/libexec/git-core/git … push -v origin tag_comms:refs/heads/tag_comms
Pushing to g...@fake.url:FakeGroup/FakeRepo.git

and the repository exists.

It never prompts me for my passphrase.

Noam Postavsky

Nov 4, 2016, 6:01:36 PM11/4/16
to Erik van Zwol, magit
On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 5:47 PM, Erik van Zwol <thej...@gmail.com> wrote:
> git push works fine from the windows command line and from git-bash, but doesn't work from magit.
>
> When on the command line, I get a prompt for my passphrase. But when I try to push from magit, I get the following:
>
> 128 C:/Program Files/Git/mingw64/libexec/git-core/git … push -v origin tag_comms:refs/heads/tag_comms
> Pushing to g...@fake.url:FakeGroup/FakeRepo.git

By ssl you meant ssh? Or https? From the URL I guess the former. Try
installing ssh-agency,
see https://github.com/magit/magit/wiki/Pushing-with-Magit-from-Windows#before-starting-set-home
and https://github.com/magit/magit/wiki/Pushing-with-Magit-from-Windows#openssh-passphrase-caching-via-ssh-agent

Erik van Zwol

Nov 4, 2016, 6:07:12 PM11/4/16
to Noam Postavsky, magit
Thank you so much!  I was not looking to have an ssh-agent cache my password.  I wanted it to prompt me every time for my passphrase.
Adding the following line to my .emacs file does exactly what I wanted:
(setenv "SSH_ASKPASS" "git-gui--askpass")

Now I get a prompt, and magit successfully can pull or push.

 - Erik