el-get issues

Perry Smith

Dec 7, 2015, 7:10:45 PM12/7/15
to ma...@googlegroups.com
When I download magit by using el-get, it has errors:

make[1]: Entering directory `/tc/user1/pedzan/.emacs.d/el-get/magit/Documentation'
Generating with-editor.info
Generating magit-popup.info
Generating magit.info
Generating dir
xargs: ginstall-info: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [dir] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tc/user1/pedzan/.emacs.d/el-get/magit/Documentation'
make: *** [docs] Error 2

I dug into the code and I bet it has something to do with this:

INSTALL_INFO ?= $(shell \
hash ginstall-info 2> /dev/null\
&& printf ginstall-info\
|| printf install-info)

I’m on AIX, I don’t have ginstall-info, and the command:

shell hash ginstall-info

returns with a happy status. On AIX, shell says it “Executes a shell with the user's default credentials and environment.”

Is that really what you want? On Mac OS X, I don’t see “shell” at all. Sure, it will error off “gracefully” but it seems like a weak way to do things. Added on top, my guess is that “hash” for ksh, bsh, tsh, and csh probably does not do what it does for bash. It also appears as if the assumption is that GNU’s make is being used and that’s not always true either.

I’ve worked around these issues but thought I’d mention it.

Thank you,
Perry Smith

Jonas Bernoulli

Dec 9, 2015, 5:18:39 AM12/9/15
to Perry Smith, ma...@googlegroups.com
The `shell' in `INSTALL_INFO ?= $(shell ...)' isn't a command, it's a
make function.

The problem is that `hash's exit status isn't defined in the standard,
so AIX is free to not do the reasonable thing, which it apparently makes
use of...

Now using `command -v' instead.

-- Jonas