magit-clone in a tramp directory?

Tim Visher

Sep 29, 2016, 9:09:38 PM9/29/16
to magit
I'm on magit 2.8.0 and when I call magit-clone in a tramp directory, it fails with the following error message:

```
error in process sentinel: Git error: #("could not create leading directories of '/scp:core:/opt/code/db-replicators': Permission denied (in /scp:core:/opt/code/)" 101 104 (tramp-default t))
```

When I call it in a non-tramp directory it works as expected.

Is this the right behavior?

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://five.sentenc.es/ -- Spend less time on mail

Tim Visher

Sep 29, 2016, 9:20:29 PM9/29/16
to magit
This would be indicative of a problem with not stripping the magic file name properly but I believe start-file-process should do that for us…

```
$ mkdir -p '/scp:core:/opt/code/db-replicators'
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/scp:core:’: Permission denied
```

Tim Visher

Sep 29, 2016, 9:30:42 PM9/29/16
to magit
The following code works:

```
(let ((default-directory "/scp:core:/opt/code"))
  (start-file-process "clone-directory" "charnock" "git" "clone" "g...@github.com:charnock/stephen.git" "/opt/code/stephen"))
```

but this does not

```
(let ((default-directory "/scp:core:/opt/code"))
  (start-file-process "clone-directory" "charnock" "git" "clone" "g...@github.com:charnock/stephen.git" "/scp:core:/opt/code/stephen"))
```

so I think the problem is that we're not translating that remote target directory name into a local filename.

Tim Visher

Sep 29, 2016, 10:10:45 PM9/29/16
to magit