Fwd: Instructor

Eric Selje

Jan 5, 2015, 9:02:17 AM1/5/15
to madd...@googlegroups.com

Globe needs a Database Instructor

Due to a last-minute back-out, Globe University is looking for someone interested in teaching our DB211 (Database Fundamentals) course.

The class meets on Wednesday nights from 5:45 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. and although the class will be held at our Madison East campus, there will be some students connecting remotely through Lync. This is a new hybrid format that we’re trying out for the winter quarter.

Classes begin the week of January 5th.

Class Meeting:  Wednesday nights 5:45 to 7:45 for 11 weeks.

Compensation: $25.00 per hour (50 credit hour class + 5 prep hours)

Prep Time: There is a course design already, but the instructor could adapt it as needed for their preferences. There would also be occasional meetings during the first few weeks while we prepare/adapt to the new format. These meetings are paid $25.00 each.

Support: There is Lync support provided by our help desk staff if needed.

Interested? Contact DeeDee Collette at dcol...@globeuniversity.edu

I’m attaching the course objectives and outline below:

OBJECTIVES:

Upon completion of this course you will be able to:

1.    Use an industry standard database application to implement a database design.

2.    Identify and describe relational database concepts.

3.    Analyze business information needs.

4.    Translate business needs into a database design.

5.    Identify entities and relationships.

6.    Design logical data models.

7.    Draw data model diagrams.

8.    Perform data normalization.

9.    Create a data dictionary.

10. Create a database using the SQL Data Definition Language.

11. Given a database design, identify potential design changes to further improve or normalize the data.

12. Enter and update data using the SQL Data Manipulation Language.

13. Write and run simple queries against a database.

COURSE OUTLINE:

Units

Topics/Activities

Reading

Unit #1

Introduction: Database systems

Rob Chapter 1
Review Friedrichsen Office 2010

Unit #2

Data models
Creating a database in Access 2010

Rob Chapter 2

Unit #3

The relational database model

Rob Chapter 3

Unit #4

Entity relationship modeling

Rob Chapter 4

Unit #5

Designing databases with Visio

Rob Appendixes A, B, C, D

Unit #6

Comparison of entity relationship model notations
Getting started with Oracle, SQL Server or MySQL
Midterm exam

Rob Appendix E
GEN Student Cloud or other virtual environment, Online resources, DreamSpark
Review

Unit #7

Introduction to SQL
Queries in MS Access