Sunny day in the bee yard.

john smith

Jan 15, 2017, 3:09:44 PM1/15/17
to madbees
Just took a refreshing walk through the bee yard. The bees are out enjoying the 29 degree sunny day.
Hope everyone is well.
Go Pack

Greg V

Jan 15, 2017, 3:46:27 PM1/15/17
to madbees
Go Pack, indeed.

I, however, keep wondering how is it peoples' bees get outside at about freezing temps.
Too cold to go poop outside anyway.
Is it even good to react to every temperature jump too much?
Almost feels as if the equipment gets too warm to overly excite them (black wrap around thin wood does it - pretty common scenario here; but is it good?)

I have this impression it is better to keep the bees in a "well-insulated fridge" (sort of) that does not allow too much of a temp swings .
This way they don't jump and down with every weather swing, don't waste energy/food for nothing, and are more efficient in long run.
This is what I have been doing.
They just steadily stay put inside.
I can tell by the remote sensing that one of the hives is probably raising a batch of brood (running steadily warmer lately).