Alterntive method to count the mites

Greg V

Sep 22, 2016, 10:41:32 AM9/22/16
to madbees
1. Get an old CD case (the old, thick design; about 5mm of space inside; this is a great spacing because it holds the bees in place nicely tight and prevents them from turning)
2. Get a sample of predominantly young bees into the case (not discussing how - well known; watch the video below too); basically just get the case pretty full - about 100 bees
3. Lock the case.
4. Take a picture of the the front
5. Take a picture of the back
6. Release the bees
7. Done with this sample collection
8. The actual counting is done on the computer screen later.

Advantages:
1. No waste of bee-life
2. Quickly collect many samples
3. Do the actual counting in-house later at your convenience
4. Can capture additional documentation in the photos - writings/signs/etc
5. The forensic documentation is immediately digitized for later user/arching/re-examining/error-checking/etc
6. The actual bees pictured are part of permanent documentation (an important detail in itself)

Disadvantages:
1. OK, takes work mite counting directly on the bees (but that's what zoom is for); need to count something anyhow, like it or not.
2. Unsure really - go ahead and discuss.... I'd like to hear what is wrong with this method

The idea is not mine.
Here is the original 7-minute video (non-english, but watch for the implementation of the outline I listed above):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f0kVjNtjMY

Greg V

Sep 22, 2016, 10:51:13 AM9/22/16
to madbees
Clarification - the CD case must be clear from both sides.
Saying this because not all are clear through (just looking at my shelf here).
This is all.

harold steinberg

Sep 22, 2016, 11:48:22 AM9/22/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I love it (being a digital artist)! Fast and simple, could do a mite count any time the have is open.

I will give it a try and let the group know how it goes.

Greg V

Sep 22, 2016, 11:51:12 AM9/22/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I thought you would!
Myself being in charge of digital evidence, I am loving it too.

This cups of bees, blah, blah - not possible to retroactively double-check.
No trace. No archive. Just lame IMO.

Greg V

Sep 22, 2016, 12:27:14 PM9/22/16
to madbees
Advantages:
9. The picture can be uploaded to a site/emailed to others - for consultation/confirmation/cross-checking/etc.
10. The picture is digital evidence and can be treated and used as such - enough said.

Matthew Hennek

Sep 22, 2016, 2:27:53 PM9/22/16
to madbees
Make me an app and maybe it's a good idea. Your sample size is tiny and way too time consuming.

Greg V

Sep 22, 2016, 2:38:23 PM9/22/16
to madbees
1)http://lmgtfy.com/?q=count+objects+image+app#
2)I can donate empty cases to fit the sample size (to those who are in need)

alexinmadison

Sep 22, 2016, 7:54:19 PM9/22/16
to madbees
I've never successfully tested for mites and I've tried a couple of methods. I love this idea - no powdered sugar, no shaking the bees, etc. I'm going to try it too.

Paul Zelenski

Sep 24, 2016, 12:56:54 PM9/24/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I am curious if it works and if you can actually see the mites well enough to count them. I have heard they can disappear between the body segments. You should do a few tests with this and then do a sugar/ether roll with the same bees to check the accuracy/consistency.
Personally I find the sugar roll is pretty easy once you have the jar set up. It also doesn't hurt/kill any bees. I'll admit I don't do it nearly as often as a should, but it's not hard. I am surprised no one is selling pre made sugar roll jars. I guess I should do that and get rich. ... or Rich should do it ;)