Hive ventilation

Corey Johnson

Feb 15, 2018, 8:31:27 AM2/15/18
to madbees
Has anyone tried a vent stack with the cap that spins to help with moisture in the winter . I thought about making a version that would fit a hive and offer a way for the moisture to vent maybe a vent cap would be to much. Perhaps a little chimney like vent. Thoughts?

Matt H

Feb 15, 2018, 7:14:24 PM2/15/18
to madbees
Can you expand on this?  Perhaps provide a drawing?  I'm not quite following.

Paul Zelenski

Feb 15, 2018, 7:17:20 PM2/15/18
to mad...@googlegroups.com

A fancy vent at the top might work well. Some people have used different vented covers to good success. One caution, though, is that you do not want to create a chimney effect in the hive where the bees warmth pulls cold air in from the bottom and chills them.

marvin

Feb 15, 2018, 9:30:09 PM2/15/18
to madbees
The analogy I picture are the outhouses with the spinning fans at public parks.  But Paul's comment points to the problem:  What drives the fan is heat, not moisture.  So you lose both heat and moisture, and pull fresh cold air in from the outside.  I would think that a more gradual, passive turnover would be more desirable.  And current passive models of tops and moisture absorption are more than adequate.  You just have to experiment.