electric uncapping knife

BETSY TRUE

Jul 29, 2016, 2:32:53 PM7/29/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone like them? We think the one we have is malfunctioning, waxing hot and cold, not maintaining temperature. Do we need a new one or is that the way they work?

Matthew Hennek

Jul 29, 2016, 4:01:38 PM7/29/16
to madbees
From my limited use (2x) of renting Capitol Bee supplys, this is not how I observed it working. It did get quite hot and I unplugged it between uncapping and extracting, but it always stayed very hot when plugged in.

I liked it a whole lot better than a cold knife, but would like to see a rheostat be added to control the temp a bit. It seems like one doesn't always need it to be at the hottest temp setting...only with old comb.

Yours might be kaput.

lin...@tds.net

Jul 29, 2016, 4:05:05 PM7/29/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
the unit may have a small adjustment screw to set. Maybe a part can be replaced!?

262jp

Jul 29, 2016, 10:08:56 PM7/29/16
to madbees
If you have never tried one of those needle-rollers they work great.  If you use your cappings then you wouldn't like it because they break open the face of the cells and don't leave you with a very large pile of cappings.  here is a photo of what I am referring to.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastic-Uncapping-Needle-Roller-Bee-Honey-Comb-Extracting-Beekeeping-Equipment-/322175396378?hash=item4b03266a1a:g:4FAAAOSwbsBXldmC

Paul Zelenski

Jul 31, 2016, 10:03:45 AM7/31/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I love my hot knife and it maintains a temp that is hot enough to melt without scorching. It is an old one from my dad from probably 35 years ago. They are not supposed to fluctuate like that. Sounds like a poor one or a broken one.

> On Jul 29, 2016, at 1:32 PM, BETSY TRUE <bt...@wisc.edu> wrote:
>
> Does anyone like them? We think the one we have is malfunctioning, waxing hot and cold, not maintaining temperature. Do we need a new one or is that the way they work?

BETSY TRUE

Aug 4, 2016, 4:39:50 PM8/4/16
to Madbees
Do you know what brand it is? I’m about to buy a new one.
Some come with cord mounted thermostats, some have no controls.

Matthew Hennek

Aug 4, 2016, 5:38:52 PM8/4/16
to madbees
You might try a Beesource forum search to get a more diverse answer.

A lot of people seem to like the Maxant Plane (not a knife).

Here's just one thread:

BETSY TRUE

Aug 5, 2016, 9:22:32 AM8/5/16
to Madbees
Matt, I really like that plane. It looks much faster than a knife and solves the issue of the curling waste layer.

I have a rolling punch, it does an incomplete job. The cap scratcher also is incomplete and makes a mess.

Matthew Hennek

Aug 5, 2016, 9:48:45 AM8/5/16
to madbees

Paul Zelenski

Aug 5, 2016, 10:06:09 AM8/5/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
What's bad about the curling capping a layer? I thought it was a good thing.

BETSY TRUE

Aug 5, 2016, 10:30:27 AM8/5/16
to Madbees
It’s fine if it drops into the vat, but not so fun if it builds up onto the knife or falls back on to the frame.

Paul Zelenski

Aug 5, 2016, 10:52:32 AM8/5/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Oh, for me it rolls right down the frame as you go. I do like my bigger capping vat from capital,bee that replaced the smaller circle one that fits in a bucket from my dads old stuff.  I drop way less on the floor.