Extra mite away quick strips

David LeZaks

Aug 13, 2017, 7:04:23 PM8/13/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
With one hive, I have an extra treatment of MAQS. Contact me if you are interested in it.

On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 5:28 PM <mad...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Julie Servantez <juliese...@gmail.com>: Aug 13 02:11PM -0700

Thought you would enjoy!

http://www.gazettextra.com/20170813/all_abuzz_endangered_bumblebee_spotted_in_janesville
Chip Hankley <chip.h...@gmail.com>: Aug 13 04:02PM

Out of twelve supers, I only have about three that are reasonably capped
for extracting. This seems a lot wetter than past mid-Augusts.

Are any of you seeing similar?
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile on my iPhone
<mar...@chicagobees.com>: Aug 13 05:25PM

That seems to be the case in northern Illinois as well. At a recent meeting of Northern Illinois Beekeepers most everyone was saying the same thing; half capped frames/supers. It's also worth noting that out of about 60 folks in attendance only 2 were having as good of a honey crop as last year or better. Everyone else's production is down compared to previous years. I don't know if there's a correlation between lower production and half capped frames or not, just sharing the info.

Marcin

Chicago

On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 11:02 AM -0500, "Chip Hankley" <chip.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

Out of twelve supers, I only have about three that are reasonably capped for extracting. This seems a lot wetter than past mid-Augusts.
Are any of you seeing similar?--
Sent from Gmail Mobile on my iPhone

A refractometer is a useful tool for this. I pulled/extracted the last I'm planning on taking last weekend and my refractometer gave me confidence to take some uncapped frames I normally wouldn't. It also saved me from taking a frame that was ~70% capped but the uncapped portion was >25% moisture.
jeanne hansen <jeanniea...@yahoo.com>: Aug 13 05:46PM

Heidi Johnson has combs of bees at the top of her fireplace chimney, under the outdoors "mantle."  By climbing onto a lower roof nearby, the bees are accessible.
The address is 5110 Hackney WayMadison  (not far from Woodman's East)
phone 608-669-6246
e-mail in the address line.
I hope someone is interested in  going to get these bees, and put them to some use before they die in the storms of winter. Thanks!
Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714
608-244-5094
jeanne hansen <jeanniea...@yahoo.com>: Aug 13 07:21PM

I biked over to admire the "bees" and naturally they are wasps.  The lady did show me the 10 honey bees working the orgeano immediately below the wasp nest.  Just too bad she couldn't find her binoculars to observe the wasps. Thanks!
Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714
608-244-5094

Heidi Johnson has combs of bees at the top of her fireplace chimney, under the outdoors "mantle."  By climbing onto a lower roof nearby, the bees are accessible.
The address is 5110 Hackney WayMadison  (not far from Woodman's East)
phone 608-669-6246
e-mail in the address line.
I hope someone is interested in  going to get these bees, and put them to some use before they die in the storms of winter. Thanks!
Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714
608-244-5094
martin whitehead <mewhit...@gmail.com>: Aug 13 09:07AM -0500

Thanks.

Please excuse the brevity of this message. It was sent from my mobile phone.

martin whitehead <mewhit...@gmail.com>: Aug 13 09:08AM -0500

Thanks for feedback. I'm moving the colony approx 2 miles.

Please excuse the brevity of this message. It was sent from my mobile phone.

Sent from my very small computer.

Matt H

Aug 13, 2017, 7:29:26 PM8/13/17
to madbees
David,

You may want to consider keeping it. Even with an August treatment there is often a large increase in mite load in mid September that warrants a second treatment.

~matt