Looking for Swarm Trap Supplies

Zac Alexander

Apr 9, 2018, 10:05:23 PM4/9/18
to madbees
Hello Everyone -

We have a farm 30min east of Madison that I'd like to set up some swarm traps on. I was going to build a couple new ones and I was hoping to buy a few old deeps off of someone here. Most of the info I found on trapping swarms recommended rubbing the inside of the traps with propolis and/or placing a frame of old comb in there. Does anyone have any extra they would be willing to sell me? Any other advice would also be appreciated. Have others had much luck in the area?

Thanks!

Mary Celley

Apr 10, 2018, 7:28:23 AM4/10/18
to madbees
I have deeps and mediums I am selling  I also will put a scent of Lemon Grass on frames.  Have many deeps and mediums I am selling  Mary  608-575-2449

Joseph Bessetti

Apr 10, 2018, 1:27:38 PM4/10/18
to madbees

Anywhere there are bees you are likely to catch swarms.

I have old equipment that I'm converting into traps and have a number of other beekeepers collaborating with me on placement of traps at a variety of locations.   I'm specifically looking for feral colonies with natural mite resistance, but I catch a lot of managed bees too.

I'd be willing to help you with swarm traps if you're willing to allow me access to the swarms you catch in order to assess them for mite resistance and potentially raise a few queens off of them (or trading colonies with you if you have no interest in treatment-free management).

I'm in Cottage Grove but also keep bees at several locations in the Deerfield area.

Joe