Sun Prairie Beekeeping Ordinance

Susan

Oct 7, 2015, 1:53:56 AM10/7/15
to madbees
We passed a beekeeping ordinance in Sun Prairie this evening with some limits.  Fifteen feet away from sidewalks and bike paths, four hives per residence and 10 permits throughout the city maximum.  While there are some drawbacks, I think this is a good start, and we can hit it again if popularity grows.  In other words, people can call their alders and ask for ordinance changes.  Many, Many Thanks to Mary Celley, Dan Curran, Michael Gourlie, Rich Schneider and our local beekeepers and gardeners for coming out tonight.  We absolutely could not have done this without you!  MANY THANKS AND YOUR EFFORTS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

Susan Kreul-Frank

Richard / Stacy Schneider

Oct 7, 2015, 8:57:25 AM10/7/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to you, George and others in Sun Prairie for your work on the ordinance. There was one thing that still perplexes me about the way it is implemented and that is as a special use permit. From what I understood at the meeting once a special use permit is issued that permitted use continues with the property through transfer and sale. I'm not clear why the city went that route versus a licensing route...to me both could approaches could have been structured similarly (there could be a limited number, staff could review and issue the license, staff could inspect for compliance prior, etc...it could have been done along the lines of a liquor license if they weren't comfortable with a simpler license review process, but still the same concept).......

Rich

Oct 7, 2015, 10:53:17 AM10/7/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, that is strange. It is also strange to limit it to 10 in the whole city. But, I suppose something is better than nothing. I expect once it is seen to not cause any harm the limit can be raised.

kac...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2015, 11:31:56 AM10/7/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Beautiful.

Kathy Kruk

Joseph Bessetti

Oct 7, 2015, 1:26:33 PM10/7/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Is that 10 permitted sites for the entire city, or up to 10 sites for any individual obtaining a permit?

From: paulze...@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [madbees] Sun Prairie Beekeeping Ordinance
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 09:53:12 -0500
To: mad...@googlegroups.com

On Oct 7, 2015, at 7:57 AM, Richard / Stacy Schneider <capitalb...@tds.net> wrote:

Thanks to you, George and others in Sun Prairie for your work on the ordinance. There was one thing that still perplexes me about the way it is implemented and that is as a special use permit. From what I understood at the meeting once a special use permit is issued that permitted use continues with the property through transfer and sale. I'm not clear why the city went that route versus a licensing route...to me both could approaches could have been structured similarly (there could be a limited number, staff could review and issue the license, staff could inspect for compliance prior, etc...it could have been done along the lines of a liquor license if they weren't comfortable with a simpler license review process, but still the same concept).......

Rich

Mary Celley

Oct 7, 2015, 3:42:53 PM10/7/15
to madbees
One of the alder persons came  out to my stand today and said if the four of us had not shown up it would have been shelved for quite sometime. So, good you got us all there George.   I'm sure once the fear based people see that the bees are not causing any problems and that hornets are the real issue, more permits will be given.  Honey bees are so misunderstood.  It drives me nuts.  Mary

Richard / Stacy Schneider

Oct 7, 2015, 8:33:43 PM10/7/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
It is 10 citywide. The number was loosely based on the number of licenses issued in Madison (which was mentioned to be around 80) and the ratio of populations (35000 in Sun Prairie and 260000 in Madison).
Rich

Oct 8, 2015, 9:23:32 AM10/8/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
It will also behoove the beekeepers to be carefull with their

Sent from my iPhone

Tim Aure

Oct 8, 2015, 9:38:08 AM10/8/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
It would also behoove the 10 sites to realize they represent to the bigger community what a responsible apiary is. Maybe even 'sweeten' the pot with a gifting of honey to the retecint alders.... It's a cautious open door. Like a flower it needs to be nurtured to take root.
Even as other communities who previously Ok'd this laid the base for Sun Prairies change in regulations. Prejudice and fears are part of people's psyche. Most don't understand the difference between a yellow jacket and a honey bee and a swarm is scary to most city dwellers with kids.
Thanks to all who took the time and played a part.
It's how the system works.
Tim
Sent from my iPhone