Fwd: [madbees] queen cell

GBle...@aol.com

Jun 29, 2016, 5:27:32 PM6/29/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
So back in May I added three frames of eggs/larvae to this hive.  I checked back the first part of June and there were several queen cells.  I left the hive alone for 3 weeks and just checked back and the bees were as calm as could be and there were several frames of new eggs and larvae and all of the drone cells and funky looking laying patterns were gone.  To top it off they filled an entire super with honey.  Thanks for your suggestions!

From: mad...@googlegroups.com
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 10:20:04 -0400
Subject: Re: [madbees] queen cell
To: mad...@googlegroups.com

I went in last night and looked up pictures on google and I am afraid the wonky looking brood looks like it is from a drone layer.  At this point,  I guess I should wait and see what happens with the queen cell that is in there,  or will the laying workers kill the queen when she emerges? From what I read if you give them a couple of frames of brood and eggs,  the chemical reaction with the pheromones from the larva will slowly shut down the ovaries from the laying workers.  Otherwise, the hive still has a TON of over wintered bees in it.

In a message dated 5/17/2016 8:37:53 A.M. Central Daylight Time, jbes...@hotmail.com writes:
I generally consider it a poor choice to scrape off supersedure cells unless I intend to re-queen the hive.  The bees are telling me the queen is failing.

Also, you might want to have a backup plan in place in case that cell doesn't produce a viable queen.    Plus, they may have started that cell with an older larva, so her quality could be in question.   If you want to let nature take it's course, give them 8-9 days and check it again to see a queen has emerged from that cell.   If you didn't see workers tending the cell it's often a sign that it's not viable.   Also, if the really weird brood pattern happens to be from a drone layer, they may not be able to raise a viable queen, but they often try anyway...

If you want them to raise a queen and have other hives, I'd give them a frame or several of brood with larva and eggs.  The hive is getting a really late start but there's ample opportunity to observe and learn.  Perhaps you could take some photos and share with the group too.

Joe

From: mad...@googlegroups.com
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 20:51:25 -0400
Subject: [madbees] queen cell
To: mad...@googlegroups.com

I don't know if you remember but I was at the last bee meeting and was the guy who mentioned that I had some really weird brood pattern and I had taken scrape off one queen cell all by itself that was capped on a top frame.  I have not had a chance to check that hive until today again and the brood is really scattered looking and there is again ONE capped queen cell in the middle of one frame.  I left it alone and closed it up.  The bees inside were really cranky.  I am assuming this is a supersedure queen cell?

Glenn