Multiple supers, tall hives

Diane Packett

Sep 29, 2015, 9:52:41 AM9/29/15
to madbees
Not that I'll ever have multiples, but the thread involving a hive with eight supers promps me to ask something I've wondered about: how do you guys with tall hives handle them? Five, maybe 6 mediums is as tall as I am. Obviously you need a step ladder. Has anybody ever fallen and dropped a box?

Just curious.

Diane

Michael Haeger

Sep 29, 2015, 9:56:46 AM9/29/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com

I tall so no problem with 8 , but I've tended to pull full supers and put on empties . Yes to a step ladder,  but you're right about the weight . Here's a thought,  if you're pulling a full super and using a ladder,  create a lower platform on which you can place the super so you don't have to climb down with one

Matthew Hennek

Sep 29, 2015, 11:50:27 AM9/29/15
to madbees
I'm overwintering in 3-4 deeps (or their medium equivalent), but I'm over 6' tall so it's not an issue.  I use concrete cinder blocks to elevate my hives and have found it useful to create a small platform next to my hives with extra cinder blocks to set my smoker on, frames on, boxes on, or stand on.